Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D Dave D is offline

Default Sony monitor - intensive screen flashes after power on

"PetrV" wrote in message
ups.com...
Dave D wrote:
Sounds like a short in the CRT, ie a grid short on the blue gun. If it
gets
to the point where it happens all the time (which it probably will) then
the
CRT could well be scrap. Replacement is not an option.

I see, I can expect it will become permanent problem (not on startup
only) after a while ?

Petr.

It's likely the CRT will fail rapidly, depending on the frequency of the
flashes. The more it does it, the more damage the blue electron gun will
endure, until it fails altogether. There's nothing you can really do about
it I'm sorry to say. Even if the intermittent short could be blasted out,
which they sometimes can, it's doubtful whether the CRT will last much
longer anyway.

There's also the possibilty of damage to the video amps due to the
flashover, which could mean either no blue or blue full on, both of which
would render the monitor unusable.

Dave