Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default laptop fan

It hasn't gone kablooie yet, but the fan in my Toshiba Satellite
A15-S129 has started making a buzzing noise. Before it goes, I'd like
to know, can I buy this part, and how hard is it to replace?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

"kell" wrote in message
ups.com...
It hasn't gone kablooie yet, but the fan in my Toshiba Satellite
A15-S129 has started making a buzzing noise. Before it goes, I'd like
to know, can I buy this part, and how hard is it to replace?

I would suggest cleaning the dust off it with a vacuum cleaner and/or a can
of compressed gas, and maybe lubricating it if you can get a drop of oil
into it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

kell wrote:
It hasn't gone kablooie yet, but the fan in my Toshiba Satellite
A15-S129 has started making a buzzing noise. Before it goes, I'd like
to know, can I buy this part, and how hard is it to replace?

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...assembly_1.htm

The fan retails for about $50 but you can frequently find it for $15 or
so on eBay or elsewhere.
http://www.prioritycomputerparts.com...?ItemID=299352

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mc wrote:
"kell" wrote in message
ups.com...
It hasn't gone kablooie yet, but the fan in my Toshiba Satellite
A15-S129 has started making a buzzing noise. Before it goes, I'd like
to know, can I buy this part, and how hard is it to replace?

I would suggest cleaning the dust off it with a vacuum cleaner and/or a can
of compressed gas, and maybe lubricating it if you can get a drop of oil
into it.

Ounce of prevention. Works for me!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Travis Jordan wrote:
kell wrote:
It hasn't gone kablooie yet, but the fan in my Toshiba Satellite
A15-S129 has started making a buzzing noise. Before it goes, I'd like
to know, can I buy this part, and how hard is it to replace?

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...assembly_1.htm

The fan retails for about $50 but you can frequently find it for $15 or
so on eBay or elsewhere.
http://www.prioritycomputerparts.com...?ItemID=299352

Thanks. Am I endangering my computer by waiting until the fan goes? I
mean, will I have some sort of warning or will it just quietly overheat
and burn up the cpu if I don't do anything and the fan decides to let
go.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

kell wrote:
Thanks. Am I endangering my computer by waiting until the fan goes?
I mean, will I have some sort of warning or will it just quietly
overheat and burn up the cpu if I don't do anything and the fan
decides to let go.

Theoretically the CPU will shut down on overtemperature before it fails.
However, the same may not be true of other components in the laptop. I
would clean the fan and if necessary, replace it now.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Do not wait till your laptop fan blows out on you. Replace it as soon
as possible. If you are a handyman who knows to open stuff and put it
back together as it was earlier, then you would be able to do it your
self or just get a tech to work on it,though you may pay hefty labour
price on that. If you are in Toronto area, then I can do it for you

Ketan
http://www.eclassifieds4u.com -- Canada's Free Classified Ads Listing
Site
http://www.kpsolution.com -- Your Computing Solution

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"kell" wrote in message
oups.com...

mc wrote:
"kell" wrote in message
ups.com...
It hasn't gone kablooie yet, but the fan in my Toshiba Satellite
A15-S129 has started making a buzzing noise. Before it goes, I'd like
to know, can I buy this part, and how hard is it to replace?

I would suggest cleaning the dust off it with a vacuum cleaner and/or a
can
of compressed gas, and maybe lubricating it if you can get a drop of oil
into it.

Ounce of prevention. Works for me!

Some fans have a rubber bung hidden under the label, you can peel the label
and pry out the bung to drip a few spots of oil into the bearing. Or I know
one tec who uses a syringe straight through the label and bung - apparently
neat Slick 50 works very well!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ian field wrote:
"kell" wrote in message
oups.com...

mc wrote:

"kell" wrote in message
groups.com...

It hasn't gone kablooie yet, but the fan in my Toshiba Satellite
A15-S129 has started making a buzzing noise. Before it goes, I'd like
to know, can I buy this part, and how hard is it to replace?

I would suggest cleaning the dust off it with a vacuum cleaner and/or a
can
of compressed gas, and maybe lubricating it if you can get a drop of oil
into it.

Ounce of prevention. Works for me!

Some fans have a rubber bung hidden under the label, you can peel the label
and pry out the bung to drip a few spots of oil into the bearing. Or I know
one tec who uses a syringe straight through the label and bung - apparently
neat Slick 50 works very well!

i've noticed maplin have started selling lubricant in a heroin-junkie
style needle now. I imagine its useful for lubing fans.

Mark
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Travis Jordan wrote:
kell wrote:

It hasn't gone kablooie yet, but the fan in my Toshiba Satellite
A15-S129 has started making a buzzing noise. Before it goes, I'd like
to know, can I buy this part, and how hard is it to replace?

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...assembly_1.htm

The fan retails for about $50 but you can frequently find it for $15 or
so on eBay or elsewhere.
http://www.prioritycomputerparts.com...?ItemID=299352

This is why I never buy sony - $50 for a fan which probably cost $0.63
to manufacture.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark Fortune wrote:
Travis Jordan wrote:

kell wrote:

It hasn't gone kablooie yet, but the fan in my Toshiba Satellite
A15-S129 has started making a buzzing noise. Before it goes, I'd like
to know, can I buy this part, and how hard is it to replace?

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...assembly_1.htm

The fan retails for about $50 but you can frequently find it for $15 or
so on eBay or elsewhere.
http://www.prioritycomputerparts.com...?ItemID=299352

This is why I never buy sony - $50 for a fan which probably cost $0.63
to manufacture.

errr... can someone tell me wtf I got sony from on a thread about a tosh?
i'm loosing it! (if I ever had it)

Mark
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 23:24:16 +0100, Mark Fortune wrote:

Travis Jordan wrote:
kell wrote:

It hasn't gone kablooie yet, but the fan in my Toshiba Satellite
A15-S129 has started making a buzzing noise. Before it goes, I'd like
to know, can I buy this part, and how hard is it to replace?

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...assembly_1.htm

The fan retails for about $50 but you can frequently find it for $15 or
so on eBay or elsewhere.
http://www.prioritycomputerparts.com...?ItemID=299352

This is why I never buy sony - $50 for a fan which probably cost $0.63
to manufacture.

Knowing sony, it probably didn't even cost that much. Sony would have no
ethical problem with making it for $0.45 instead even if it only lasted 12 months.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark Fortune wrote:

ian field wrote:
"kell" wrote in message
oups.com...

mc wrote:

"kell" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

Wow, are they really that slow? I carried a half dozen real syringes
in my toolboxes from the early '70. Each had a different chemical or
lube in it for different jobs.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Travis Jordan wrote:
kell wrote:

It hasn't gone kablooie yet, but the fan in my Toshiba Satellite
A15-S129 has started making a buzzing noise. Before it goes, I'd like
to know, can I buy this part, and how hard is it to replace?

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...assembly_1.htm

The fan retails for about $50 but you can frequently find it for $15 or
so on eBay or elsewhere.
http://www.prioritycomputerparts.com...?ItemID=299352

This is why I never buy sony - $50 for a fan which probably cost $0.63
to manufacture.

Knowing sony, it probably didn't even cost that much. Sony would have no
ethical problem with making it for $0.45 instead even if it only lasted 12 months.

Shouldn't that be 1.2 months?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Travis Jordan wrote:
kell wrote:

It hasn't gone kablooie yet, but the fan in my Toshiba Satellite
A15-S129 has started making a buzzing noise. Before it goes, I'd like
to know, can I buy this part, and how hard is it to replace?

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...assembly_1.htm

The fan retails for about $50 but you can frequently find it for $15 or
so on eBay or elsewhere.
http://www.prioritycomputerparts.com...?ItemID=299352

This is why I never buy sony - $50 for a fan which probably cost $0.63
to manufacture.

Knowing sony, it probably didn't even cost that much. Sony would have no
ethical problem with making it for $0.45 instead even if it only lasted 12 months.

Shouldn't that be 1.2 months?

It's gotta last the warranty and perhaps a day or two.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Mark Fortune wrote:

ian field wrote:

"kell" wrote in message
egroups.com...

mc wrote:

"kell" wrote in message
legroups.com...

[...]

Well maybe, maybe not... at least this is the first time i've noticed
them on the shelves. I used to carry silicone heat transfer compound
around in syringes when I worked in the IT industry (going for the
career change into science now)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

---------8-------------------8---------------

Knowing sony, it probably didn't even cost that much. Sony would have no
ethical problem with making it for $0.45 instead even if it only lasted 12 months.

Shouldn't that be 1.2 months?

It's gotta last the warranty and perhaps a day or two.

Is that why power supplies these days tend to have caps rated at 16v
when they normally see 15v across thier terminals?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 02:49:11 +0100, Mark Fortune wrote:

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 00:26:24 GMT, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

---------8-------------------8---------------

Knowing sony, it probably didn't even cost that much. Sony would have no
ethical problem with making it for $0.45 instead even if it only lasted 12 months.

Shouldn't that be 1.2 months?

It's gotta last the warranty and perhaps a day or two.

Is that why power supplies these days tend to have caps rated at 16v
when they normally see 15v across thier terminals?

Hey, if the 12v caps will last a year, go with those instead especially
if they'll save a penny for the set.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark Fortune" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
"kell" wrote in message
oups.com...

mc wrote:

"kell" wrote in message
egroups.com...

It hasn't gone kablooie yet, but the fan in my Toshiba Satellite
A15-S129 has started making a buzzing noise. Before it goes, I'd like
to know, can I buy this part, and how hard is it to replace?

I would suggest cleaning the dust off it with a vacuum cleaner and/or a
can
of compressed gas, and maybe lubricating it if you can get a drop of oil
into it.

Ounce of prevention. Works for me!

Some fans have a rubber bung hidden under the label, you can peel the
label and pry out the bung to drip a few spots of oil into the bearing.
Or I know one tec who uses a syringe straight through the label and
bung - apparently neat Slick 50 works very well!

i've noticed maplin have started selling lubricant in a heroin-junkie
style needle now. I imagine its useful for lubing fans.

Mark

......................and killing off junkies!!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ian field wrote:

"Mark Fortune" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
"kell" wrote in message
oups.com...

mc wrote:

"kell" wrote in message
egroups.com...

[...]

They would have a lot of trouble with a blunt needle. I had to buy
some real needles and medical syringes when I need to poke a hole into a
part. I use a whetstone to blunt the tips of needles I use for flux and
grease.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark Fortune wrote:
This is why I never buy sony - $50 for a fan

Did you really get a fan from Sony for such low price as $50?
Gongratulations! In a Finnish electronics group
(sfnet.harrastus.elektroniikka), there was a case being discussed where
Sony charged over €60 for a just basic screw! (Though it was labelled
as a special Sony screw, of course :-)

And yes - the over €60 (can't recall the exact value) price was the
price which Sony had charged when the authorized service of the Finnish
importer had ordered it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
ian field wrote:

"Mark Fortune" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
"kell" wrote in message
oups.com...

mc wrote:

"kell" wrote in message
egroups.com...

[...]

From watching the cop shows on TV and seeing how wary the cops are of
searching suspected junkies who are very likely to have well used sharps
rattling about in their pockets along with their loose change, penknife,
knuckle duster, etc - Maplins oil syringes are probably sharper than the
rusty objects the junkies share with the bum chums!!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ian field wrote:

From watching the cop shows on TV and seeing how wary the cops are of
searching suspected junkies who are very likely to have well used sharps
rattling about in their pockets along with their loose change, penknife,
knuckle duster, etc - Maplins oil syringes are probably sharper than the
rusty objects the junkies share with the bum chums!!!

All you need is a fine surface whetstone and a little patience to
change the shape or re-sharpen a needle. On the other hand, a lot of
farm supply stores have disposable veterinary grade needles and syringes
for sale, cheap.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Travis Jordan wrote:

kell wrote:

It hasn't gone kablooie yet, but the fan in my Toshiba Satellite
A15-S129 has started making a buzzing noise. Before it goes, I'd like
to know, can I buy this part, and how hard is it to replace?

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...assembly_1.htm

The fan retails for about $50 but you can frequently find it for $15 or
so on eBay or elsewhere.
http://www.prioritycomputerparts.com...?ItemID=299352

This is why I never buy sony - $50 for a fan which probably cost $0.63
to manufacture.

Knowing sony, it probably didn't even cost that much. Sony would have no
ethical problem with making it for $0.45 instead even if it only lasted 12 months.

Either way, Sony makes some fantastic laptops, I have a Toshiba which I
really like too, the Tecra series are nice.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Maybe you could just wear thinner shorts.