Posted to sci.electronics.repair
flybd5

Default Book recommendation for a junior high student

My 15 year old musician son has developed a keen interest in the
circuitry behind analog and digital synthetizers, and wants to build
his first component for a custom synth, a VCO board. We have the PCB,
I'm gathering the components, and have given him an intro to
electricity and electronics, what the components are and what they do,
but I need a good book that, at a junior high school level, explains
all the concepts, and does so within the context of a fun read (dry
conceptual material won't get to first base with a 15 year old).

Suggestions?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc

The Art of Electronics, by Horowitz and Hill, if it's not too hard.

Practical Electronics for Inventors.

The ARRL Handbook if enough of the content is relevant.

"flybd5" wrote in message
ups.com...
My 15 year old musician son has developed a keen interest in the
circuitry behind analog and digital synthetizers, and wants to build
his first component for a custom synth, a VCO board. We have the PCB,
I'm gathering the components, and have given him an intro to
electricity and electronics, what the components are and what they do,
but I need a good book that, at a junior high school level, explains
all the concepts, and does so within the context of a fun read (dry
conceptual material won't get to first base with a 15 year old).

Suggestions?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike_in_SD

Go to Rat Shack and see if they still carry the starter books
by Forest Mimms ..

They rock for the newbie

(me) wrote in :

electricity and electronics, what the components are and what they
do, but I need a good book that, at a junior high school level,
explains all the concepts, and does so within the context of a fun
read (dry conceptual material won't get to first base with a 15 year
old).

Suggestions?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Juan Jimenez

The school library has very few vocational books.

"me" wrote in message

"flybd5" wrote in message
roups.com...
My 15 year old musician son has developed a keen interest in the
circuitry behind analog and digital synthetizers, and wants to build
his first component for a custom synth, a VCO board. We have the PCB,
I'm gathering the components, and have given him an intro to
electricity and electronics, what the components are and what they do,
but I need a good book that, at a junior high school level, explains
all the concepts, and does so within the context of a fun read (dry
conceptual material won't get to first base with a 15 year old).

Suggestions?

Library.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Juan Jimenez

You're kidding, right? Those bums don't even carry a decent selection of
resistors, let alone books.. plenty of cellular phones and cheap chinese
toys, though.

(me) wrote in :

electricity and electronics, what the components are and what they
do, but I need a good book that, at a junior high school level,
explains all the concepts, and does so within the context of a fun
read (dry conceptual material won't get to first base with a 15 year
old).

Suggestions?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike_in_SD

Glad you have an open mind .. grin

I had two year of electronics in high school
I worded as an electronics tech in the Air Force

I finally read one of Forest Mimms books (from ratshack) and it answered
more questions than all my other years of study

I have personally bought his books for many kids that showed an
interest and was rewarded everytime.

good luck anyways ..

"Mike_in_SD" wrote in message
.. .

Go to Rat Shack and see if they still carry the starter books
by Forest Mimms ..

You're kidding, right? Those bums don't even carry a decent selection of
resistors, let alone books.. plenty of cellular phones and cheap chinese
toys, though.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
flybd5

It turns out Radio Shack stopped publishing Forrest Mims' books a long
time ago. They are now published by Master Publishing, Inc. I found the
books on Amazon and they have very high reviews. This is what I will
get for the kid. Thanks!

Juan

Mike_in_SD wrote:
Glad you have an open mind .. grin

I had two year of electronics in high school
I worded as an electronics tech in the Air Force

I finally read one of Forest Mimms books (from ratshack) and it answered
more questions than all my other years of study

I have personally bought his books for many kids that showed an
interest and was rewarded everytime.

good luck anyways ..

.. .