Posted to rec.woodworking
lance

Default Mastering Your Table Saw DVD or Book?

I'm a newbie in woodworking and am getting ready to purchase my first
table saw (Grizzly 1023SL). In preparation for myself and my wife
using this machine, I want to get a book or DVD that demonstrates the
common uses, etc on the table saw. I prefer to learn from watching,
not reading, but own several other books that are quite valuable, so
I'm not against them. From reading this group, I've decided to get the
Kelly Mehler book or DVD "Mastering Your Table Saw". I'm trying to
find out if the book would be a better way to go, or does the DVD have
pretty much the same things as the book? Is there one that is
recommened over the other?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"lance" wrote in message
I'm a newbie in woodworking and am getting ready to purchase my first
table saw (Grizzly 1023SL). In preparation for myself and my wife
using this machine, I want to get a book or DVD that demonstrates the
common uses, etc on the table saw. I prefer to learn from watching,
not reading, but own several other books that are quite valuable, so
I'm not against them. From reading this group, I've decided to get the
Kelly Mehler book or DVD "Mastering Your Table Saw". I'm trying to
find out if the book would be a better way to go, or does the DVD have
pretty much the same things as the book? Is there one that is
recommened over the other?

You can set the book on the outfeed table, the saw horse, your workbench,
and next to the ****ter, while you read/ruminate and make plans/sleds/etc.
.... if you can do all that with the DVD, more power to you.

Just my tuppence ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd suggest that first of all you read the intro in Ian Kirby's "The
Accurate Table Saw".

IMHO an excellent safety-diatribe, and hopefully a stimulus for users
to do what's needed to keep their appendages attached. Part of the deal
is to condition yourself to do what's safe. Build proper
"muscle-memory"- that sort of thing.

Just one significant injury, which can happen before you can blink, can
totally sour the whole thing for you. Besides hurt like hell for a long
time.

Might be a good idea to seek local intro course.

HTH,

Posted to rec.woodworking
bob kater

I agree abt the book. Many very valuable ideas on jigs, alignment and
safety. Seems like the computer or dvd player would injest a lot of dust
during the learning period
oups.com...