Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tom Hotaling

Default LCD computer display backlighting

I have a Dell LCD monitor where the back lighting has quit. With the
right lighting I can still make out the screen so the digital display
seems fine, just no back lighting.

Any one have any experience with one of these, Dell specific or
generic. I looked through the SamG faq's but nothing jumped out at me.
Thanks

tomh
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G.

Dell normaly does not sell service parts to no authorised service reps
for their products. There are no published service manuals for these
monitors that are able to be purchased by their non authorized service
reps.

Common causes are the back plane lamps, and their ballast supply. It is
recomended practice to change the lamps and ballast at the same time.

If you call Dell they will tell you where to send the monitor for
proper service. Most of these monitors are sold with a three year
pro-rated warranty. You should enquire about this.

There are no generic parts that I know of.

Some of the lower end monitors have the back light system built in to
the display, and are not serviceable. In this case the complete panel
has to be replaced.

We found that in most cases, when there were failures in these monitors
when out of warranty, it was more feasible to replace the monitor.

Jerry G.
======

Tom Hotaling wrote:
I have a Dell LCD monitor where the back lighting has quit. With the
right lighting I can still make out the screen so the digital display
seems fine, just no back lighting.

Any one have any experience with one of these, Dell specific or
generic. I looked through the SamG faq's but nothing jumped out at me.
Thanks

tomh

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"Tom Hotaling" wrote in message

I have a Dell LCD monitor where the back lighting has quit. With the right
lighting I can still make out the screen so the digital display seems
fine, just no back lighting.

Any one have any experience with one of these, Dell specific or generic. I
looked through the SamG faq's but nothing jumped out at me. Thanks

tomh

Surface mount fuses ( often 2A ) fail on inverter boards for no good reason.
Driver chips and drive transistors fail. CCFLs fail, though usually just
one, but some inverters will shut down with one tube failed. Tubes are
available on the net, as are inverter boards, but original problem can often
be fixed. Look for the fuse first. You might strike lucky.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Land

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Tom Hotaling" wrote in message

I have a Dell LCD monitor where the back lighting has quit. With the
right lighting I can still make out the screen so the digital display
seems fine, just no back lighting.

Any one have any experience with one of these, Dell specific or
generic. I looked through the SamG faq's but nothing jumped out at
me. Thanks

tomh

Surface mount fuses ( often 2A ) fail on inverter boards for no good
reason. Driver chips and drive transistors fail. CCFLs fail, though
usually just one, but some inverters will shut down with one tube
failed. Tubes are available on the net, as are inverter boards, but
original problem can often be fixed. Look for the fuse first. You
might strike lucky.

If it turns out you need to replace the lamps and/or the inverter, look
here for DIY info:

http://www.inventgeek.com/Projects/shorts/lcdfix.aspx
http://www.lcdpart.com

There are also companies that will replace the parts for you, such as:

http://laptops.home.att.net/

(Disclaimer: I haven't done business with any of these companies.)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tomh

Thanks all for the tips/advice. This was a freebe I got from a friend
and it's old enough to be out of warranty. I got it to tinker with. I'll
look for blown fuses and bad drivers, etc, and it's definitely a back
lights separate from the screen. To do any serious troubleshooting I'll
need to lengthen the wires from the PCB to the lights. There on a real
short leash. I'll keep y'all posted as to what I find. I suspect a lot
of LCD's hit the trash due to failed back lighting.

tomh