Michael Drum

Default Siemens Gigaset 2420 Display problem

Hi Gang,

I've got a Siemens Gigaset 2420 phone and the
LCD display is missing segments. It looks like
a jigsaw puzzle trying to read it. Otherwise,
the phone works fine. I love the phone and
want to keep it. I know if could be a display
driver, or the display itself. I am willing to
buy a new display if someone could clue me in to
who I can turn to for parts. I beleive Siemens
has discontinued these phones for a newer model,
and I'm not sure they would be willing to sell me
the part even if they did have it. I think Sohnen
is doing repairs, but they won't sell parts.

Anyone know how to get a replacement display for
these phones? Also, I took the phone apart to see
if contact pressure around the display would
resolve the issue since I have seen many LCD display
connection problems, but that seemed ok. Why is it
that LCD displays always seem to be attached with
an adhesive type ribbon cable? Is there a law against
soldering these things or what??

Any help would be appreciated. I would also be willing
to buy a parts phone if someone has one.

Thanks,

Mike
Rein Wiehler

Michael Drum wrote:

[...]

you can not solder wires to the etched connectors on the glass surface
of the display itself. tried it.
rw
Mike Drum

If I mange to find another display for this phone, any idea
on how to properly remove the existing ribbon cable from the
circuit board and replace it with the new display? All I can
say is that it appears to be glued to the board in some manner.
I have seen this on many other LCD displays, so I think it is a
standard. I just don't have any experience in dealing with this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike