Posted to sci.electronics.repair
iws

Default Odd Sony Camcorder Problem

This is a TRV310 Digital 8 unit, about 7 years old. Recently, I noticed a
strange image problem. In record mode, indoors the colors are dull in good
light and the image is very dark in low light conditions. Outdoors in bright
shade or sun, everything appears way overexposed. This is the case whether
observing in the LCD, the b/w viewfinder or playback of the recorded image.
Note, playback of old recordings before the problem arose is fine. All other
functions appear normal. Even more interesting is that I can intermittently
get the proper image restored in record mode by physically pressing on parts
of the camcorder case. Unfortunately, I can't get that to work consistently
or for any extended period of time. It's like there is a loose connection or
something inside. Obviously, it may just be time to get a new camcorder but
I'm wondering how difficult/costly it would be to fix. TIA for any
suggestions.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

"iws" wrote in message
[...]

Anytime u can restore function to a device by pushing, pulling, tapping or
otherwise manipulating the device's case, the problem is most likely going
to be bad solder joints, loose connections as u said or, in the case of
mechanical controls (potentiometers, switches, etc.), dirty contacts.
Depending on the complexity level of disassembly, location of the fault, and
the shop, this can be either very cheap or very costly to have a shop fix.
Most often, a competent shop will do it for their normal flat fee --
depending on the shop, the flat fee can be pretty high, though.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"iws" wrote in message
[...]

It's likely there's a bad connection somewhere, probably to do with the iris
control circuit or servo. Could be trivial to fix, but that doesn't
necessarily mean cheap!

Dave