Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Sevinsky

Default Durabrand "Dual 7" DVD player won't read DVDs

I have a Durabrand "Dual 7" portable / car DVD player that I bought
as-is. It will read CDs but not DVDs. I took the back off and found
two adjustment pots on the laser head. Turning one affects the ability
for it to play CDs. I assume that the other one affects how it plays
DVDs, but unfortunately, turning it does not help. It just spins the
DVD up and down a few times and gives up. I do see the red laser come
on when a DVD is in.

The laser head is marked "DL3C 05D11." I'm thinking about finding
another broken Dual 7 player and then maybe swapping the laser heads to
see if I can get one working. Does anybody know if any of the other
Durabrand DVD players use a DL3C laser head? I have a few broken
Durabrand PVS-1960 players, but the head is different and does not fit.
I even tried swapping the whole head/motor assembly, but they aren't
compatible.

Any help would be appreciated.
John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Sevinsky

FYI, I bought a used Durabrand DUR-7 player, and it uses the same laser
assembly as the Dual 7. I was able to swap the parts and fix my Dual 7
player.

John