Mark D. Zacharias

Default Aiwa CXNMT90 CD Player Read Problems

Worth a try cleaning properly. Generic advice follows.

Have two cotton swabs ready -- one moistened but not dripping with Windex or
similar window cleaner, the other dry. Some prefer alcohol (91% isopropyl,
NOT rubbing alcohol). GENTLY clean the lens in a circular motion, rolling
the swab as you go. Follow with the dry one to get any residue. DO NOT
adjust anything without proper test equipment and a service manual. You'd
only make things worse, maybe to the point of not playing at all.

Mark Z.

"Kiran Venkatesh" wrote in message
om...
I've been reading about problems with Aiwa CD players and I was hoping
if anyone could offer any advice for my situation. I have an Aiwa
CXNMT90 system whose CD player will attempt to read a CD where the
head will spin the disc several times and eventually give up after a
few spins and move on to the next CD in the 5 CD tray.

Some folks have said that a certain cable is to blame or optical
pickups might be the problem

(http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ai...repair&hl=en&l
r=&ie=UTF-8&group=sci.electronics.repair&selm=8o25bs%24a4b%2 41%40nnrp1.deja.
com&rnum=5).
I have tried to use a lens cleaner but when using it, the CD player
treated it as any normal CD and was not able to use the CD to clean
the lens.

I have some basic electronic experience (soldering iron, breadboard,
etc..) and have access to a fully fledged electronics lab with help
and am wondering if something like this can be fixed without the need
to go to a professional, or is it not worth it considering the
probability of making a mistake or the fact that new systems come
cheap.

Thanks in advance,
Kiran

LASERandDVDfan

I have an Aiwa
CXNMT90 system whose CD player will attempt to read a CD where the
head will spin the disc several times and eventually give up after a
few spins and move on to the next CD in the 5 CD tray.

The objective lens either collected dust that's intercepting the beam or the
ribbon cable that connects the optical pickup to the control/process
electronics has developed breaks (assuming that your particular Aiwa uses a
ribbon cable instead of a bona-fide wiring harness).

I have tried to use a lens cleaner but when using it, the CD player
treated it as any normal CD and was not able to use the CD to clean
the lens.

I would advise never to use those CD lens cleaning discs. They are not very
effective and can damage the optical pickup when used.

I have some basic electronic experience (soldering iron, breadboard,
etc..) and have access to a fully fledged electronics lab with help

You may not need those resources for this particular repair.

It's a matter of taking the cover off and getting to the optical pickup with a
cotton swab lightly dampened with medical grade rubbing alcohol. Gently rub
the lens clean with the alcohol-moistened swab. It may also help to oil the
disc spindle motor sleeve bearing with a sparing amount of high quality low
viscosity oil. - Reinhart
LASERandDVDfan

Thanks for the tips. Reinhart, I'll try and open up the unit to
access the lens to give it a clean. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
Much appreciated!

Good luck. - Reinhart
Blade5156

I have recently experienced the same problem. I will attempt to do the
same. I hope it works. By the way has it worked for you Reinhart?

Blade5156

Blade5156

Thanks for the info. It worked.