Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ryan Underwood

Default who has decent shipping rates for small parts orders?

My last Mouser order resulted in almost $10 shipping charge for $4 worth of
components. So I'm looking for options. Is there any big vendor that uses
e.g. USPS for small orders? I have ordered from Digi-Key, Allied, NEI etc in
the past but can't recall offhand what shipper they used. Mouser is OK on big
orders, but when I need a handful of parts and can't wait to make a batch
order, they charge way more than makes sense for the size of the order.

It would be nice to be able to make more frequent small orders so I wouldn't
have stuff laying all over the place waiting on parts, but maybe that is a pipe
dream given the current climate.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken

Ryan Underwood wrote:
My last Mouser order resulted in almost $10 shipping charge for $4 worth of
components. So I'm looking for options. Is there any big vendor that uses
e.g. USPS for small orders? I have ordered from Digi-Key, Allied, NEI etc in
the past but can't recall offhand what shipper they used. Mouser is OK on big
orders, but when I need a handful of parts and can't wait to make a batch
order, they charge way more than makes sense for the size of the order.

It would be nice to be able to make more frequent small orders so I wouldn't
have stuff laying all over the place waiting on parts, but maybe that is a pipe
dream given the current climate.

I think my last purchase was at http://www.futurlec.com/Components.shtml

and even though it was a small order the shipping was very reasonable.
Try it, it might work for you.

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Simon Scott

Ken wrote:

Ryan Underwood wrote:
[...]

yeh, futurlec rock, I buy lotsa stuff from them
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ross Herbert

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:15:51 -0400, "JANA" wrote:

It costs them more than $4 just to make your order!

I suppose if you rock up to the counter in person and buy $4 worth of
components it is also going to be be just as expensive, but are they
going to tell you to "make a bigger order or p--- off"?

Company's like Mouser have special courier rates which don't cost them
more than a few dollars to send stuff locally in the US. They are even
making a profit on the freight so they are well and truly covering
their expense on packing and freight out of that $10.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
kip

Digi Key has the best by Far...

Global Semi the worst by Far.

"Ross Herbert" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:15:51 -0400, "JANA" wrote:

It costs them more than $4 just to make your order!

I suppose if you rock up to the counter in person and buy $4 worth of
components it is also going to be be just as expensive, but are they
going to tell you to "make a bigger order or p--- off"?

Company's like Mouser have special courier rates which don't cost them
more than a few dollars to send stuff locally in the US. They are even
making a profit on the freight so they are well and truly covering
their expense on packing and freight out of that $10.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Really? I've found mouser to be cheaper than digi-key.. I had a $3 order
from digi key that cost me 12 and a $3 order from mouser that cost me 8..

- Mike

.. .