Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jack

Default vhs-c camcorder problem

HI,

Has anyone heard of similar problems to the following or have ideas of
how I can fix this? I've tried resetting the camera via the menu and
removing batteries but no luck. I would like to try DIY rather than
repair as I've heard these are quite expensive to fix:

camcorder: Panasonic VHS-C RZ1 - 20Xoptical, 220X digital zoom
problem - whenever I turn the camcorder on, it looks like it is stuck
in maximum optical zoom
mode and focus is locked at about 20 feet. It doesn't auto focus and
none of the zoom
controls work.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Jack

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eric H

"Jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
HI,

Has anyone heard of similar problems to the following or have ideas of
how I can fix this? I've tried resetting the camera via the menu and
removing batteries but no luck. I would like to try DIY rather than
repair as I've heard these are quite expensive to fix:

camcorder: Panasonic VHS-C RZ1 - 20Xoptical, 220X digital zoom
problem - whenever I turn the camcorder on, it looks like it is stuck
in maximum optical zoom
mode and focus is locked at about 20 feet. It doesn't auto focus and
none of the zoom
controls work.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Jack

If you have never repaired a camcorder before and have no service manual
then you have no hope of fixing it yourself. Get it looked at by someone
with experience, knowledge and the correct tools!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JR North

A long shot...the logic may be getting a constant 'zoom out' signal, due
to a jammed zoom switch, stuck switch contacts, or corrosion/cap leakage
on the PCB. At max zoom, the focus should be at infinity, and would not
vary anyway. Disassembly to test this theory will be challenging, to say
the least.
I had a problem with my Sony DCR-TRV520, where the playback volume was
locked on low and constantly displayed in the LCD as an empty volume
bar. As if I was constantly pressing on the 'lower' end of the volume
rocker on the LCD panel. If I pressed on the 'volume-up' side, the
volume would rise, but return to 0 when I released the rocker. I
disassembled the LCD panel and by rearranging the cables inside, which
seemed to be pressing on the film PCB, the fault disappeared.
JR

Jack wrote:
HI,

Has anyone heard of similar problems to the following or have ideas of
how I can fix this? I've tried resetting the camera via the menu and
removing batteries but no luck. I would like to try DIY rather than
repair as I've heard these are quite expensive to fix:

camcorder: Panasonic VHS-C RZ1 - 20Xoptical, 220X digital zoom
problem - whenever I turn the camcorder on, it looks like it is stuck
in maximum optical zoom
mode and focus is locked at about 20 feet. It doesn't auto focus and
none of the zoom
controls work.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Jack

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gordonpuk

Jack wrote:
HI,

Has anyone heard of similar problems to the following or have ideas of
how I can fix this? I've tried resetting the camera via the menu and
removing batteries but no luck. I would like to try DIY rather than
repair as I've heard these are quite expensive to fix:

camcorder: Panasonic VHS-C RZ1 - 20Xoptical, 220X digital zoom
problem - whenever I turn the camcorder on, it looks like it is stuck
in maximum optical zoom
mode and focus is locked at about 20 feet. It doesn't auto focus and
none of the zoom
controls work.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Jack

Have had sticking focus motor cause this, (and on Samsung, this will
give no camera picture) sounds brutal but when you first turn
camcorder on give it a sharp hard thump with your hand!
Panasonic say to replace motor and using their EVR jig to increase
focus motor drive voltage but the above method will prove the point!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jack

Hey Gordonpuk
I tried whacking it with my hand about 10 times--no luck. Exasperated,
I threw the damn camcorder on the (carpeted) ground since I knew I'd be
probably ordering a new one. Just for fun, I figured I'd try to see if
it would even turn on....AND IT WORKS AS GOOD AS NEW NOW!

Thanks so much for your help!

Jack