Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

Default SONY KE-42XS910 - NTSC to PAL ?

Hello All,

I recently moved back from the US to the UK and brought back my US
purchased SONY SONY KE-42XS910 plasma TV.

Foolishly, I presumed this thing would be a multi format unit (NTSC &
PAL), but it's only NTSC.

So, Is there anyway I can get this TV working properly in the UK? I've
purchased a couple of NTSC/ PAL converter boxes (TVone 1T-V1280DVI),
but this gives an awful quality picture. Seems a waste of a $6,000 TV.
Ideally, I'd like a decent converter, that would allow me to use the HD
DVI input on the PLASMA to full effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair
Luke Siemaszko

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
wrote:

Foolishly, I presumed this thing would be a multi format unit (NTSC &
PAL), but it's only NTSC.

I would have thought a PALVI or PAL:RGB interface would do the trick.
Which of these inputs do you have? What frequencies does it support
on the RGB?

Luke Siemaszko wrote:

We do sell this sort of kit, but we are more of a profesional than
consumer dealer, so if you want the best pric you would be better off
surfing the web. But if you want a professional product, please replay
and I'll see what we can offer.

There are consumer models of the a similar device. AverMedia makes
one that sells for 900 NIS here (about 100 UKP). It has composite and
s-video inputs and a tuner. The output is RGB as in a VGA computer
monitor.

.......but for £100 it will look rubbish. You get what you pay for.
Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Luke Siemaszko wrote:

......but for £100 it will look rubbish. You get what you pay for.

It won't look any worse than a regular TV signal will. Oh wait, you DID
say it will look rubbish. :-)

No matter how you do it, a 525 line picture is not going to look good
on a large screen TV. PAL TV signals are 625 line, something has to be done
to either squish the picture or chop off a 1/12th of it at the top and bottom.

Digital signal processing such as line doublers, etc, are just going to
make things worse.

If the TV does have a computer connection or DVI input, you can buy a cheap
PC with a DVD drive and enjoy the view.

If you get a good enough TV card and fast enough processor, you can get
decent pictures out of it from off the air signals. Nothing like U.S.
HDTV and it isn't going to cost 100 UKP.

I look at it as the choice is to try to sell the TV to someone who doesn't
know the difference (which may be imoral IMHO) or spend 100 UKP to
use it. He's already bought the thing, moved it to the U.K., paid any
taxes due on it etc. Another 100 UKP for to make it useable is better
than putting out on the street.......

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

Thanks for the replies...

How about a iScan Ultra HD box to convert muiltiple PAL inputs through
the TV's DVI input?

Thanks

Posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair
Mike Berger

Thanks for the heads-up. Nowdays I would like to think that any
higher end TV would be dual format. I have PAL DVD's that I can
play, but only if the TV also handles PAL. I'll have to be careful
when I replace my current TV.