Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook

Default Printing Schematics

Personally I cannot repair stuff working with schematics on pc screens.
I can only use bits of paper where a physical magnifying glass actually
works, unlike the usual PDF/virtual, joke magnifying glasses.
Other than magnifying the perfectly readable pc image before printing off on
laser printer,is there any other way of getting a printed image to be as
(almost) clear as the PC screen image ?
Say a schematic original is 4 A4 sheets then scanned in 1 to 1 (about, so to
allow some overlap) , in 4 sections, it needs printing off on 16 sheets to
get anywhere near to the original in resolution. Assuming a decent GIF image
rather than the usual joke PDF, better-than-nothing, stuff.

Update on previous thread on copying old brown paper schematics, the simple
way to increase the contrast was to scan in and just select "reduce colour
depth" in viewer, to just 2 colours and save as .gif , but then comes the
usual printing off problem.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert

n cook wrote:
[...]

I've had the same issue. I download schematics in PDF and try to follow
the circuit by magnifying and scrolling. It's pretty daunting. I've
compensated somewhat by having a PC with a good monitor right at the
workbench. It seems as if I don't have enough hands to scroll the
diagram while simultaneously tracing the physical circuit on the device
itself.

I suspect that it is an acquired skill.

If you have something like a Kinko's (full service copying/printing
business graphics facility...they're everywhere here in the States)
across the Pond, you can have full-sized (or larger) paper prints made
of your PDF's.

I'm gonna try this as a stopgap while I practice doing it electronically.

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mr. Land

This might sound stupid, but have you considered using a trackball
instead of a mouse? Seems like it'd make it a lot easier to scroll
around the schematic.

Just a thought...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fastvale

"jakdedert" ha scritto nel messaggio
n cook wrote:

If you have something like a Kinko's (full service copying/printing
business graphics facility...they're everywhere here in the States)
across the Pond, you can have full-sized (or larger) paper prints made
of your PDF's.

Never tried to convert PDF to CAD (dwg/dxf) format ( google for pdf/dgw
converter) and then open it with a very common and free program like i.e.
http://www.a9tech.com/ ?
You can scale it as you prefer and print it as you prefer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mr. Land wrote:
This might sound stupid, but have you considered using a trackball
instead of a mouse? Seems like it'd make it a lot easier to scroll
around the schematic.

Just a thought...

I think that would be nice, but a scrolling mouse is allready like a
track ball in the vertical direction. I usually look through the pdf's
and then print the current view, than go over to the equipment.
Sometimes I tape sections together. I worked on much equipment from old
faxes, that it was a miracle I could do anything with it.
I sometimes convert autocad to pdf. same viewing result. I have not
tried converting clipboard to gif. and Jpeg, forget it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

You have to put the file on a CD disk, and go to a professional printing
place to print it right, or spend some big dollars on a proper printer. Some
of the service centres have a professional printer for printing schematics.
Many are also starting to use 25 inch and larger LCD screens for the
computers in their technical areas.

--

JANA
_____

"n cook" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

n cook wrote:

[...]

I have three 11" * 17" printers which are nice for size "B" (17" *
22") schematics. Size "C" (22" * 34") is just two size "B" pages, which
is easier that trying to align four pieces of paper. I have a size "B"
scanner, but I'm still looking for a size "B" laser printer.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DaveM

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
n cook wrote:

[...]

Hi Michael,

May I ask what kind of large format scanner you have? I have been looking for
an affordable unit for my own needs at home, but so far, they've been too
expensive for my bank account.
As for a large printer, I've considered a used "C" or "D" size inkjet plotter
from ebay. Not a laser printer, for sure, but it should certainly do the job.
Thanks,

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the