Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Seb

Default Sony video walkman GV-S50 change to PAL?

Hi
I hope this is the right place to ask.

I brought a GV-S50 on ebay the seller said he was in the UK where I am, it
then arrived from America!!

My question is can I modify it to PAL, someone mentioned that it may have
both the circuits already and just the NTSC is activated for the American
market, if its sold to the UK the PAL section is used. I know the PAL
version will play both PAL and NTSC tapes.
Does anyone know anything about this I have searched google with no luck

I was hoping I could use it to monitor video but again my video signal does
not work with it.
Maybe someone has the schematics and could have a check for me please.

Thanks loads Seb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

In many of these units, to change the broadcast system that it operates on,
the tuner section, IF section, and video processing sections are of
different specifications. This also includes the sync drives, and the servo
setup for the tape section.

In more simple terms, there are a number of boards and parts to change, and
then a recalibration is required, to make many of these types of units work
on a different broadcast system.

This applies to many of the models in this level of unit.

You can download the user manual he
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-...s.pl?mdl=GVS50

--

JANA
_____

"Seb" wrote in message
news Hi
I hope this is the right place to ask.

I brought a GV-S50 on ebay the seller said he was in the UK where I am, it
then arrived from America!!

My question is can I modify it to PAL, someone mentioned that it may have
both the circuits already and just the NTSC is activated for the American
market, if its sold to the UK the PAL section is used. I know the PAL
version will play both PAL and NTSC tapes.
Does anyone know anything about this I have searched google with no luck

I was hoping I could use it to monitor video but again my video signal does
not work with it.
Maybe someone has the schematics and could have a check for me please.

Thanks loads Seb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

JANA wrote:
In more simple terms, there are a number of boards and parts to
change, and
then a recalibration is required, to make many of these types of units
work
on a different broadcast system.

What confused or made the original poster hopeful was that there is a
multisystem version sold in Europe. The market for things like this
most likey 80%-90% 100-130 volt ac/60 HZ, NTSC. This covers Japan and
North America (and most of South America too) and with a different power
supply Korea.

That makes it worthwhile to have two versions, an NTSC only version and a
multisystem version sold in the rest of the world. Since at least five of
the NTSC versions are sold to one of the multisystem units, it makes
no sense to include the extra parts, microprocessor programing etc.

The multisystem units are sold in countries that have high import
duties, luxury taxesm VAT, and in some places import quotas so people
are used to paying high prices for them. In the U.S. a one dollar
difference in price could lose a sale.

BTW, Sony U.S. a much bigger company than Sony Japan, will NOT sell a
multisytem unit of any kind.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/