Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Trying to fix a Marantz SR-2000 receiver

Hi all,
I am trying to fix this receiver, I replaced the hybrid STK080G
power amp for the right channel, after having checked the voltages on
the pins. Now this power amp goes red hot when powered on.
Any ideas what/how to check ?

Thanks

Francois
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charles Schuler

wrote in message
Hi all,
I am trying to fix this receiver, I replaced the hybrid STK080G
power amp for the right channel, after having checked the voltages on
the pins. Now this power amp goes red hot when powered on.
Any ideas what/how to check ?

The driver ... the circuit that feeds the hybrid.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks Charles,
I checked the voltages(DC) on all pins on both hybrid power amps and
they are the same. I swapped the input to the hybrid power amps (left
and right channels) and I still have the same power amp getting very
hot. Not sure what to check next.

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 20:07:34 -0500, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Hi all,
I am trying to fix this receiver, I replaced the hybrid STK080G
power amp for the right channel, after having checked the voltages on
the pins. Now this power amp goes red hot when powered on.
Any ideas what/how to check ?

The driver ... the circuit that feeds the hybrid.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Speaker connected (switch on or off for them), right channel power amp
still very hot. The sound is good on both speakers but I cant leave it
on for long, I am afraid to fry the power amp ($20.00)

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 19:37:03 +0100, Damir wrote:

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 13:12:54 -0500, wrote:

Thanks Charles,
I checked the voltages(DC) on all pins on both hybrid power amps and
they are the same. I swapped the input to the hybrid power amps (left
and right channels) and I still have the same power amp getting very
hot. Not sure what to check next.

Without speakers connected,of course?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi all,
after swapping a couple of components (caps, and 1 transistor)
between the faulty right channel and the working left one) I found out
(with a continuity tester) that pin 5 of the hybrid was floating (not
properly soldered to the land pattern). After having corrected that,
it is working fine now (maybe a little bit hotter than the left
channel but not by much). I will check Arfa suggestions when I get a
scope. For now music sound very well.
Thanks all
François

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 18:55:14 -0600, jakdedert
wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:
wrote in message
Speaker connected (switch on or off for them), right channel power amp
still very hot. The sound is good on both speakers but I cant leave it
on for long, I am afraid to fry the power amp ($20.00)

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 19:37:03 +0100, Damir wrote:

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 13:12:54 -0500, wrote:

Thanks Charles,
I checked the voltages(DC) on all pins on both hybrid power amps and
they are the same. I swapped the input to the hybrid power amps (left
and right channels) and I still have the same power amp getting very
hot. Not sure what to check next.

If the sound is good, but the hybrid is frying, then I would suggest that it
is hooting, maybe as high as RF. You need to get a 'scope on the output to
check for this. There may be a Zobel network ( R & C in series ) on the
output that was damaged by the previously faulty hybrid. Alternatively,
there may be a defective decoupling cap on one of the bypass pins of the
hybrid, or an open or high ESR supply decoupling cap, and this is allowing
it to hoot, which may be what caused the demise of the original hybrid, and
would ultimately do the same to the replacement, if left.

Arfa

'Hooting', you say. I suppose by that--and your description of the
solution--you refer to high-frequency oscillation.

Hooting...that's a new one on me; but I like it.

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"jakdedert" wrote in message
.. .
Arfa Daily wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Oh, ok. Perhaps it's a funny British thing !! It's a term that was taught to
me when I was an apprentice nearly 40 years ago, by my apprentice mentor,
and I've always used it ...

Your assumption of its meaning Jak, is basically correct. It is a parasitic
oscillation of a stage which may be, but is often not, detrimental to the
basic operation of that stage. The OP's amp is a classic example, if that is
indeed what the problem was - pins 3,4 and 5 of that hybrid are all up the
front end, and typically have caps connected to them. The stage basically
carried out its job of amplifying ' low freq ' music perfectly well, but was
also outputting an additional signal either at an ultrasonic, or low HF
frequency, probably at close to full power, depending on how good a
bandwidth the output stage has - hence it gets very hot. I don't know if you
remember the old Texas Instruments SN76003 / 013 / 023 series of power amp
ICs. They had a sort
of " fan " shaped hetsink bonded to them. Well those used to suffer from it
badly, if the supply decoupling wasn't perfect.

I've also had genuine oscillators in mixers that have suffered from
parasitic oscillations. Their primary function has been basically fine,
except that every other radio in the vicinity is going bananas, due to the
high amplitude 'hoot' that is also occuring.

Sorry if I've caused any confusion to anyone. I'll stick to ' contemporary '
terminology in the future ... !!

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert

Arfa Daily wrote:
"jakdedert" wrote in message
.. .
Arfa Daily wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I used a Studiomaster desk that just sounded like utter sh*t. I
couldn't get a decent mix out of it to save my life, although the rest
of the PA system was really excellent. I couldn't put my finger on it,
but something was just not 'right'. I subbed in a cheap Sunn console,
and the whole system came to life!

Turned out the Studiodisaster had parasitics (up into AM radio
frequencies) in almost every stage.

Sorry if I've caused any confusion to anyone. I'll stick to ' contemporary '
terminology in the future ... !!

Hooting is fine. I like it, but it must be a British thing...like 'valve'.

jak
Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"jakdedert" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"jakdedert" wrote in message
.. .
Arfa Daily wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Yes, that's the sort of thing. I've had similar where a high amplitude RF
signal is being created in an audio stage, and rectified in the following
stage due to its huge amplitude driving that stage to non linearity. The DC
then produced at the base of the transistor, upsets the bias, and bingo,
hefty distortion.

Arfa