Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Paul

Default Sansui Receiver- Noise at shutdown

I have a Sansui R-7 receiver which works fine except that when the power is
turned off there is usually a fairly loud click from the speakers. Does not
seem to be loud enough to harm the speakers, but certainly annoying, and not
at all what I would consider normal.

This is a low to mid power receiver which I'm guessing is from the late
80's. It is an instant-on unit with no relays. There was a place for a
capacitor accross the power switch, but none was ever installed. I added a
..01 disc there, but that did not help. Following wires from the line cord
thru the switch to the power transformer, I do not see any other line
conditioning or surge suppression. I can't believe it always had this
problem. Any ideas as to the cause?

Thanks,
Paul

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

Paul wrote:
I have a Sansui R-7 receiver which works fine except that when the
power is turned off there is usually a fairly loud click from the
speakers. Does not seem to be loud enough to harm the speakers, but
certainly annoying, and not at all what I would consider normal.

This is a low to mid power receiver which I'm guessing is from the
late 80's. It is an instant-on unit with no relays. There was a
place for a capacitor accross the power switch, but none was ever
installed. I added a .01 disc there, but that did not help.
Following wires from the line cord thru the switch to the power
transformer, I do not see any other line conditioning or surge
suppression. I can't believe it always had this problem. Any ideas
as to the cause?

Thanks,
Paul

Probably not much you can do except switch off the speakers before you turn
the unit off.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G.

The easiest way to fix this, is to switch off the speakers before
turning the set on. If you are innovative enough, you an design and
build a relay circuit using a turn on time delay circuit. The speaker
path can be through the relay contacts. This way, when you turn the set
on, the relay can have a 2 or 3 second delay.

--

Jerry G.

"Paul" satellite65no@spamyahoo wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rheilly Phoull

"Jerry G." wrote in message
[...]

Ahhhh! Hrrrmm! the OP has the prob with shutdown so some mod to the cct
would be required I imagine.

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Paul

Both replies indicate that this is normal operation, not a defect. I
find that hard to believe. If bought new and it had this problem, I
think that most people would take it back for a refund.

Anyway, I thank those who took the time to reply.

(BTW Jerry, since it happens at shutdown, not startup, I would need to
add an anticipation circuit, not a delay circuit ;-)

Paul

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Ware

"Paul" wrote in message
oups.com...
Both replies indicate that this is normal operation, not a defect. I
find that hard to believe. If bought new and it had this problem, I
think that most people would take it back for a refund.

Anyway, I thank those who took the time to reply.

(BTW Jerry, since it happens at shutdown, not startup, I would need to
add an anticipation circuit, not a delay circuit ;-)

Paul

FWIW, I have a mid 80's Realistic reciever. I was looking through the
service manual and noticed that the amplifier IC has a delay feature built
into the chip itself. Perhaps it is possible that this type of circuit could
go bad, but the amplifer would keep operating? Just a thought.