Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default STRS6301A runs hot in a KV27EXR25

I just replaced this chip and did the usual soldering of bad
connections on this 14 year old Sony.
Although the set now looks great the regulator IC runs too hot to
touch. The set has been operating for a couple of hours now but both
the chip as well as the heat sink are too hot it seems. I ESR'd the
caps in the power supply and they all look OK. Maybe hot is OK for this
circuit but I just thought I'd ask if anyone might have any thoughts on
this. Thanks. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Can't use an A in those, need a plain 6301

JURB

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can't use an A in those, need a plain 6301

JURB

I have heard this many times, but have used the A version many times with no
problems. The difference according to Sanken datasheet notations is that
the hfe range for the A version is 20-40, while the non A rated version is
15-40. This is consistent with rank markings on other semiconductors.
These do run very hot. Some people have added heat sinks and fans. I have
not found it neccessary, but it may be helpful. Usually, if it is too hot
to touch there is something else wrong.

Leonard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

"Jerry G." wrote in message
ups.com...
You are best off to use the origional part from Sony. They use test
selected parts. I have had greater amounts of recalls when using non
origional Sony parts.

Make sure with the new one, the IC surface and heat sink surfaces are
both very clean. Apply new heat sink compound to both surfaces. Make
sure that the mounting is tight.

Jerry G.

Do you have some specific info regarding the nature of "test selected"? I
keep hearing this, but other than rank specifications, Sony has told me
several times over the years that they do not test parts from OEMs, do not
match pairs, and do not have QC on parts from vendors that goes beyond the
spec that they supply to them. They have in some cases specified hfe rank
on semis, but in this case did not. The original part is the 6301, while
the tighter spec from Sanken was the 6301A. What you get when buying
through Sony is some assurance that the part is not a counterfeit, and
possibly the correct gain ranking. In the case of the 6301, we have
received the 6301A from Sony at times when ordering by their part number
which lists the 6301. I have compared the two several times, and compared
the same part purchased for a fraction of the Sony price in the same power
supply and found no differences. I have also tested other Sony supplied
parts against the same parts from other vendors and actually found GREATER
variability in the Sony supplied parts. This is likely due to batch
variations over time. In some cases, Sony or another vendor may make
specifications for parts that vary from the OEM standard version, but this
is not one of those cases.

I suggest knowing the parts and making a sound decision rather than relying
on the myth that Sony supplied parts are somehow different than those from
the OEM.

Leonard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G.

Sony themselves do not do the testing. The manufactures do this for
them, as part of their purchase agreement. This is why you will hear
many service people like myself, that when buying the original parts,
there are much less recalls.

--

Jerry G.

"Jerry G." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

On 24 Feb 2006 13:45:20 -0800, "
wrote:

I just replaced this chip and did the usual soldering of bad
connections on this 14 year old Sony.
Although the set now looks great the regulator IC runs too hot to
touch. The set has been operating for a couple of hours now but both
the chip as well as the heat sink are too hot it seems. I ESR'd the
caps in the power supply and they all look OK. Maybe hot is OK for this
circuit but I just thought I'd ask if anyone might have any thoughts on
this. Thanks. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Every one of these I've seen ran too hot to touch (that's why they
only last a few years). It seems to be normal for these sets. On the
last few I repaired, I mounted the heat sink so that the fins ran
vertically.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

Like I said, I have quizzed Sony parts, tech assist, and field engineers on
the matter several times over the years. They all tow the company line and
say that any parts labelled as critical safety parts should be purchased
from Sony. Beyond that they have said that Sony does not use higher specs
on virtually any parts that use the standard labelling conventions. They
do, of course, specify feature sets on programmable devices and have certain
semis made specifically for them that are not "off the shelf" parts. The
Sanken regulators in question are not among those. Lots of service people
make generalizations and subscribe to mythology and beliefs that do not hold
up under scrutiny. Paying several times more to get the STRS6301 from Sony
rather than other legitimate Sanken distributors simply does not make sense.

Like I said, If you know the parts specifically and do the research, there
may be better options than buying the "original" parts.

Leonard

"Jerry G." wrote in message
Sony themselves do not do the testing. The manufactures do this for
them, as part of their purchase agreement. This is why you will hear
many service people like myself, that when buying the original parts,
there are much less recalls.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

I had one of these in my bedroom for years and had experimented with it.
All of the various versions from various vendors ran between 155-160 degrees
running an EIA split field color bar pattern. I would agree that 170 would
be too high and would suspect something wrong like the leaky diode.

Leonard

wrote in message
oups.com...
Put a calibrated thermometer on it and let it run to operating
temperature a couple of hours and report back the highest reading.
Thermocouple affixed to the heatsink directly above the regulator.

As I recall the normal operating temperature of these was around
140~150 deg F with the back off the set. If it ran over 170 deg F it
would be prone to early failure and the set would come back within 90
days.

Even in normally operating sets that did come in for repair, the
heatsink would be completely cleaned, a good airtight application of
heatsink compound (not too much, not too little). Plus making sure the
fins were clean and free of dust and dirt helped.

I agree that the heatsink should have been mounted with the fins
vertical, not horizontal.
I use to take a heavy duty to-220 heatsink and mount it to the face of
the IC body with its fins vertical. It would reduce the operating
temperature by as much as ~5-10 degrees F.

We have not seen one of those older Sony sets come in for quite a while
though.