Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Seafarer

Default CD Player Question

One of my favourite CD's[Gerry Rafferty] was scratched.I burned it on
to my computer and the new disc worked well playing on the computer
through Windows Media File player.
Loaded it on to my workshop CD player and it would not play,same
happened with another CD player kept as spare,no go, showing error.
Took it home loaded it in my DVD player and it worked perfectly.
The writable disc is a CD-RW80 High speed 4-12x.
got to be a reason but I'm not clued up on CD recorders.Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"Seafarer" wrote in message
One of my favourite CD's[Gerry Rafferty] was scratched.I burned it on
to my computer and the new disc worked well playing on the computer
through Windows Media File player.
Loaded it on to my workshop CD player and it would not play,same
happened with another CD player kept as spare,no go, showing error.
Took it home loaded it in my DVD player and it worked perfectly.
The writable disc is a CD-RW80 High speed 4-12x.
got to be a reason but I'm not clued up on CD recorders.Cheers

Magneto-optical discs have a lower reflectivity than pressed discs. It is
not unusual at all for many older CD players to have difficulty reading
these discs. When CD burners in computers were first around, and everyone
discovered ' free ' download sites, I used to see loads of players claiming
to " Not read some CDs ". It almost invariably turned out that the ones it
wouldn't read were unbranded spindle-pack home burns. Many later hi fi's
then claimed to be CD-R compatible, with slightly better designed decoder
and servo electronics that could cope with higher data error rates. You
should also make sure that you are definitely burning in the correct CD
format. DVD players will often play just about any format disc that you
throw at them, whereas CD players, won't. Other than this, try a different
brand of disc with a different dye colour.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Seafarer wrote:
One of my favourite CD's[Gerry Rafferty] was scratched.I burned it on
to my computer and the new disc worked well playing on the computer
through Windows Media File player.
Loaded it on to my workshop CD player and it would not play,same
happened with another CD player kept as spare,no go, showing error.
Took it home loaded it in my DVD player and it worked perfectly.
The writable disc is a CD-RW80 High speed 4-12x.
got to be a reason but I'm not clued up on CD recorders.

Some CD players from just before the days of recordable CDs won't play
them. Funnily, the earliest CD players often will. The reflective coating
is different on a home burn CD to a commercial one.

--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sjouke Burry

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Seafarer wrote:

One of my favourite CD's[Gerry Rafferty] was scratched.I burned it on
to my computer and the new disc worked well playing on the computer
through Windows Media File player.
Loaded it on to my workshop CD player and it would not play,same
happened with another CD player kept as spare,no go, showing error.
Took it home loaded it in my DVD player and it worked perfectly.
The writable disc is a CD-RW80 High speed 4-12x.
got to be a reason but I'm not clued up on CD recorders.

Some CD players from just before the days of recordable CDs won't play
them. Funnily, the earliest CD players often will. The reflective coating
is different on a home burn CD to a commercial one.

I noticed that OP uses re_writable cd's. I found those
to be much weaker than CD-R , so I would advise to use
CD-R.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Sjouke Burry wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Seafarer wrote:

One of my favourite CD's[Gerry Rafferty] was scratched.I burned it on
to my computer and the new disc worked well playing on the computer
through Windows Media File player.
Loaded it on to my workshop CD player and it would not play,same
happened with another CD player kept as spare,no go, showing error.
Took it home loaded it in my DVD player and it worked perfectly.
The writable disc is a CD-RW80 High speed 4-12x.
got to be a reason but I'm not clued up on CD recorders.

Some CD players from just before the days of recordable CDs won't play
them. Funnily, the earliest CD players often will. The reflective coating
is different on a home burn CD to a commercial one.

I noticed that OP uses re_writable cd's. I found those
to be much weaker than CD-R , so I would advise to use
CD-R.

I missed that part, yes most CD players will not play re-writable discs,
most will however play standard CD-R discs, though sometimes it helps to
burn them at a lower speed than the max of the drive.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel

Seafarer wrote:

One of my favourite CD's[Gerry Rafferty] was scratched.I burned it on
to my computer and the new disc worked well playing on the computer
through Windows Media File player.
Loaded it on to my workshop CD player and it would not play,same
happened with another CD player kept as spare,no go, showing error.
Took it home loaded it in my DVD player and it worked perfectly.
The writable disc is a CD-RW80 High speed 4-12x.
got to be a reason but I'm not clued up on CD recorders.Cheers

Hi Seafarer...

A cd that will play on your computer but not on your domestic
entertainment machines could be caused a couple of ways...

You must record it "track at once"; not disk at once.

And it absolutely must be recorded with the "finalize disk"
option selected. (not finalize session which is a whole
different thing)

Take care.

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter van Merkerk

James Sweet wrote:
Sjouke Burry wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Seafarer wrote:

[...]

That is because CD-R are still within the red book standard where as
rewritables are not. The reflectivity of rewritables is much lower, and
the AGC circuit of the CD player must be designed for rewritables to be
able to cope with these discs (see also the orange book standard). I
doubt burning them at another speed will make much of a difference.