Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jack Anderson

Default 98 GM Truck Radio

Good evening,

My son has my old 98 GMC pickup with the "standard AM/FM Cassette
player radio which was a factory install. Most of the buton lights
have burned out and he is trying to get at them to replace them. I
could put a voltmeter on the CB to see what the voltage of the bulbs
is, I would assume they are 12V but I know what ASSUME means. If any
of you have ever done this before or could point to someplace where
this has already been discussed, I would appreciate it very much. The
other question which has got him nervous is how does one get the
volume knob off? he has tried to pull it but it will not come with the
force he thinks it should take. My son is at colledge now so I can't
judge how much he is using to pull on the knob.

TIA

Jack Anderson
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel

Jack Anderson wrote:

Good evening,

My son has my old 98 GMC pickup with the "standard AM/FM Cassette
player radio which was a factory install. Most of the buton lights
have burned out and he is trying to get at them to replace them. I
could put a voltmeter on the CB to see what the voltage of the bulbs
is, I would assume they are 12V but I know what ASSUME means. If any
of you have ever done this before or could point to someplace where
this has already been discussed, I would appreciate it very much. The
other question which has got him nervous is how does one get the
volume knob off? he has tried to pull it but it will not come with the
force he thinks it should take. My son is at colledge now so I can't
judge how much he is using to pull on the knob.

TIA

Jack Anderson

Hi Jack...

Haven't any info for you, other than if they're indeed
incandescent bulbs they're almost certainly 12 volts.
(anything less would have them in series, and the failure
of one would turn out the whole "string"

Then again, they may be led's with cracked solder, so...

Recommendation is that you check with the good folks at
alt.autos.gm where I'm sure you'll get the definitive
answer

Take care.

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ditinsta

That GM radio is dirt common. You should be able to find one via Ebay or
flea markets for a few bucks with good bulbs.

Also, all the buttons are lit by only one or two bulbs. You can take the
truck to a good car audio shop and have them pull the radio and solder in
new bulbs usually for under 50 bucks.

"Jack Anderson" wrote in message

My son has my old 98 GMC pickup with the "standard AM/FM Cassette
player radio which was a factory install. Most of the buton lights
have burned out and he is trying to get at them to replace them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Ware

Most of the GM radios of that era have anel lamps that are mounted with a
plastic base that twists and locks into a hole in the PC board. You can buy
the lamps with the blue covers and bases as a part at your local GM parts
counter. getting the radio open without damage is the tricky part.
Mike

"ditinsta" wrote in message
That GM radio is dirt common. You should be able to find one via Ebay or
flea markets for a few bucks with good bulbs.

Also, all the buttons are lit by only one or two bulbs. You can take the
truck to a good car audio shop and have them pull the radio and solder in
new bulbs usually for under 50 bucks.

"Jack Anderson" wrote in message

My son has my old 98 GMC pickup with the "standard AM/FM Cassette
player radio which was a factory install. Most of the buton lights
have burned out and he is trying to get at them to replace them.

(mis)adventures moving a Nichols mill MJ news Metalworking 8 December 6th 04 04:31 PM
Voltage stability in old truck jakdedert Electronics Repair 6 September 11th 04 07:31 AM
Chrysler Radio 1996 Dodge Stratus (Chrysler Sirrus?) Pinout question with GMC S15 Truck None Electronics Repair 4 July 3rd 04 11:29 PM
Broken Radio JW Electronics Repair 3 May 31st 04 01:05 PM
Bay Area Truck hunt --Update - SUCCESS!!!! Ernie Leimkuhler Metalworking 3 September 17th 03 02:28 AM