Posted to comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,sci.electronics.repair

Default cd rom starts reading only after warm-up?

cd in my PC started ignoring disks , so I have to torture it with
opening/closing the door for a while before it can recognize the
disk(and it takes less to start playing the disk with a more shiny
surface! )
Has anyone ran into similar problem - could this be a cold solder joint
or smth else - perhaps I should try finding a potentiometer to crank-up
the laser a bit?

Posted to comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
Dave

wrote in message
oups.com...
cd in my PC started ignoring disks , so I have to torture it with
opening/closing the door for a while before it can recognize the
disk(and it takes less to start playing the disk with a more shiny
surface! )
Has anyone ran into similar problem - could this be a cold solder joint
or smth else - perhaps I should try finding a potentiometer to crank-up
the laser a bit?

Or chuck it in the trash and blow $20 on a brand new one which will give you
at least 364 days of trouble-free operation? If the selling price (which
includes markup) is $20, there ain't a whole lotta' high-quality components
inside...

Posted to comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
Peter van der Goes

wrote in message
oups.com...
cd in my PC started ignoring disks , so I have to torture it with
opening/closing the door for a while before it can recognize the
disk(and it takes less to start playing the disk with a more shiny
surface! )
Has anyone ran into similar problem - could this be a cold solder joint
or smth else - perhaps I should try finding a potentiometer to crank-up
the laser a bit?

Beyond what Dave said, consider entering the 21st century with a DVD+_RW
that will read and write CD and DVD recordable media. ~$40 US delivered from
a good online vendor such as NewEgg.

Posted to comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

wrote in message
oups.com...
cd in my PC started ignoring disks , so I have to torture it with
opening/closing the door for a while before it can recognize the
disk(and it takes less to start playing the disk with a more shiny
surface! )
Has anyone ran into similar problem - could this be a cold solder joint
or smth else - perhaps I should try finding a potentiometer to crank-up
the laser a bit?

Almost certainly a cleaning problem. The other guys are right, though. Why
fix it with the price of new drives so low?

About 8 months ago I bought a Pioneer DVD burner drive from ZIPzoomfly.com .
(formerly Googlegear)

$56.00 with free second day freight. Couldn't be happier with it.

Probably even cheaper today.

Mark Z.

Posted to comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

cd in my PC started ignoring disks , so I have to torture it with
opening/closing the door for a while before it can recognize the
disk(and it takes less to start playing the disk with a more shiny
surface! )
Has anyone ran into similar problem - could this be a cold solder joint
or smth else - perhaps I should try finding a potentiometer to crank-up
the laser a bit?

Almost certainly a cleaning problem. The other guys are right, though. Why
fix it with the price of new drives so low?

About 8 months ago I bought a Pioneer DVD burner drive from ZIPzoomfly.com .
(formerly Googlegear)

$56.00 with free second day freight. Couldn't be happier with it.

Probably even cheaper today.

Mark Z.

Yeah I just bought one from Newegg a few weeks ago, $37 with free
shipping. Does most DVD writable formats including dual layer, it's
amazing what technology has done.

Warm Delta Lathe Redux Mr. Moose Woodturning 3 December 17th 05 04:34 PM
Warm Air Units Uk gastec UK diy 74 December 1st 05 11:04 PM
Gloworm compact 80e combi boiler- warm water problem!! heinzy UK diy 5 September 29th 05 07:21 PM
Slightly OT : Keeping Something Warm Mark Trueman UK diy 60 August 8th 05 09:50 AM
Warm wires Brian UK diy 3 May 16th 05 09:21 AM