Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mr. Moose

Default Warm Delta Lathe Redux

Hello again!

So, I had previously written about my Delta 46-700 lathe running
really warm, to the point where I would pull out an MT2 adaptor from
the headstock and have to bounce it in my hand like hot toast because
it was so warm - not scalding, just very very warm.

Replaced both headstock bearings, lathe ran much quieter, but not much
cooler.

Got in today, replaced the belt, and as I was doing so, I noticed that
the adjusting side of the motor pulley was a bit loose. REALLY loose.
Wobbly. It turns out that the sleeve bearing and pulley were very
worn, to the point that metal shavings were coming off. There's a good
millimeter of material missing from the brass inner sleeve thingy, and
I'm sure some material is missing from the pulley as well. Also, the
plastic bearing cover that puts pressure on the pulley from the speed
control lever was pretty rocky looking, a few cracks and other
questionable areas.

Fired it up, and watched as that pulley wobbled several degrees from
parallel with the other side. This strikes me as perhaps not a normal
Reeve's drive feature, would that be an understatement? I'm sure that
metal chewin up other metal is a bug, not a feature.

I've ordered the parts, hopefully they will arrive soon. I'm sure
there will still be some warmth as the sealed bearings break in, but
things should be running a lot smoother real soon.

Once again, thanks all for your help!

Mark
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Eddie Munster

Thanks, good to know what it was. I think you got it now.
I have a 701C model I barely ever use. Three times I think. Wife says I
should sell it. You see I bought a bigger one after getting the 701. So
in truth, she let me buy a second one without sellling the one I just
bought first!

John

Mr. Moose wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mr. Moose

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:55:21 -0500, Eddie Munster
wrote:

Thanks, good to know what it was. I think you got it now.
I have a 701C model I barely ever use. Three times I think. Wife says I
should sell it. You see I bought a bigger one after getting the 701. So
in truth, she let me buy a second one without sellling the one I just
bought first!

John

The parts just arrived, and it's truly frightening to see how
disasterously ruined the current pulley is compared to the new one! I
guess it's actually supposed to be solidly attached to the brass
bushing that's currently rolling around inside my headstock.

I repeat, and hopefully will make this clear - my current piece
actually has one side of the pulley just rolling around on the brass
fitting, insttead of firmly attached to it. I thought it was supposed
to be like that, but that is clearly NOT how it's supposed to go. Kind
of like driving on barre wheels because you assumed that, since there
were no tires, that must be how the car runs!!!

Yikes. I'll replace this NOW. I'll report later on the improvements,
but I expect there to be a hole lot more speed and a whole lot less
slippage.

Mark
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

MM.........didn't that thing make a hell of a lot of noise in addition the
heat thing when you had it running?

Barry