Mark Trueman

Default Slightly OT : Keeping Something Warm

Hi there

In the near future im going to be sending aquatic livestock (corals) by
post and im looking for clever (and cheap) ways of keeping it warm in
the royal mail postal service for 18 hours or so.

The corals will be shipped in small, water filled plastic bags, and it
is this water that will need to be kept warm (26 degrees c preferred).

Any ingenious ideas as to how to best package this up so that the temp
doesnt drop too much?

Anything i can add to the package to keep it warm (but without having
to purchase expensive heat packs). Cant be too hot obviously, as it
would melt the bags!!

Regards

Mark

Andy Hall

On 5 Aug 2005 02:06:16 -0700, "Mark Trueman"
wrote:

Hi there

In the near future im going to be sending aquatic livestock (corals) by
post and im looking for clever (and cheap) ways of keeping it warm in
the royal mail postal service for 18 hours or so.

The corals will be shipped in small, water filled plastic bags, and it
is this water that will need to be kept warm (26 degrees c preferred).

Any ingenious ideas as to how to best package this up so that the temp
doesnt drop too much?

Anything i can add to the package to keep it warm (but without having
to purchase expensive heat packs). Cant be too hot obviously, as it
would melt the bags!!

Regards

Mark

The normal way used by commercial shippers is to use styrofoam boxes.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mark Trueman

Ok, so what would you view as the best form of insulation. Bubble wrap
must be pretty good for insulation in itself. I doubt i could line the
walls of the box with celotex however!!!

Mark Trueman

I do have plently of "poly-boxes" hanging around, but they are just too
big to ship a small fragment of a coral in. Im hoping to get ideas on
how to ship small packages and retain the heat.

Andy Hall

On 5 Aug 2005 02:24:45 -0700, "Mark Trueman"
wrote:

I do have plently of "poly-boxes" hanging around, but they are just too
big to ship a small fragment of a coral in. Im hoping to get ideas on
how to ship small packages and retain the heat.

A few ways:

- You can increase the thermal mass inside the insulation. This would
most easily be done with having other bags of water packed in with the
one containing the coral if you don't want to use aquarium water.

- Improve the insulation. Polyisocyanurate foam (Celotex or Kingspan
used in buildings) has better insulating properties than styrofoam
(perhaps twice as good) and also has foil covering which will help a
little more. You could cut pieces of this and stick it inside
cardboard boxes.

I wonder whether oxygen is also important for coral as it is for fish.
Perhaps adding some oxygen to the bag would help?

You could also try contacting one of the major importers such as the
Tropical Marine Centre in Watford for ideas and help

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Grunff

Rob Morley wrote:

Hay and bacofoil? As I said, you really need to experiment to
determine the most cost effective balance - cost of packaging, cost
of mailing, probability that the coral arrives in good condition ...

Ah, aluminium, that most insulating of metals...

--
Grunff
Grunff

Mark Trueman wrote:
Ok, so what would you view as the best form of insulation. Bubble wrap
must be pretty good for insulation in itself. I doubt i could line the
walls of the box with celotex however!!!

Bubblewrap is quite poor actually, unless you layer it in many layers -
but even then it's not great.

Polystyrene or polyurethane foam is really your only workable solution -
the only question is "how thick". This is something which is fairly easy
to determine by experimentation.

--
Grunff
Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"Mark Trueman" writes:
Hi there

In the near future im going to be sending aquatic livestock (corals) by
post and im looking for clever (and cheap) ways of keeping it warm in
the royal mail postal service for 18 hours or so.

The corals will be shipped in small, water filled plastic bags, and it
is this water that will need to be kept warm (26 degrees c preferred).

Would be useful to know max/min temperatures allowed,
and for how long. Also, what is the rough monetry value
lost if temperature goes out of range and presumably
wrecks the corals in a parcel? (i.e. a solution costing
£10 a go probably isn't viable to ship £1's worth of
coral.)

Any ingenious ideas as to how to best package this up so that the temp
doesnt drop too much?

Anything i can add to the package to keep it warm (but without having
to purchase expensive heat packs). Cant be too hot obviously, as it
would melt the bags!!

In addition to thermal insulation mentioned by others, in my
mind I was starting to design a battery/thermostat/heater
to compensate for the small heat loss. Battery could be a
use-once alkaline and heater could be a few resistors or
resistance wire. It would need some good protection against
any damage in transit being able to start a fire with the
battery energy. Then I thought this is going to look exactly
like an incendiary device when X-rayed, and your coral is
going to get blown up in a controlled explosion at the
sorting office, which will probably have an even worse
effect on it than getting a bit cold in transit. ;-)

Oh well...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Shrek

"Mark Trueman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there

In the near future im going to be sending aquatic livestock (corals) by
post and im looking for clever (and cheap) ways of keeping it warm in
the royal mail postal service for 18 hours or so.

The corals will be shipped in small, water filled plastic bags, and it
is this water that will need to be kept warm (26 degrees c preferred).

Any ingenious ideas as to how to best package this up so that the temp
doesnt drop too much?

Anything i can add to the package to keep it warm (but without having
to purchase expensive heat packs). Cant be too hot obviously, as it
would melt the bags!!

Regards

Mark

Most coral will survive a slight temperature drop for a while, soft corals
will fair better than something like a bubble coral. Bigest problem will be
maintaining Oxygen level. Make sure the protien skimmer is working well for
at least a day before shipping, that'll keep the Oxygen level as high as
possable, pack the frag with as much water as you can, double or tripple bag
it, pack plenty of polystyrene round, make sure the packing is rigid so if
someone puts another package on top it doesn't increase water pressure.

Even the professional will lose stock in transit, so be prepared.

Andy Hall

On 05 Aug 2005 10:39:55 GMT, andrew@a17 (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article .com,
"Mark Trueman" writes:
Hi there

In the near future im going to be sending aquatic livestock (corals) by
post and im looking for clever (and cheap) ways of keeping it warm in
the royal mail postal service for 18 hours or so.

The corals will be shipped in small, water filled plastic bags, and it
is this water that will need to be kept warm (26 degrees c preferred).

Would be useful to know max/min temperatures allowed,
and for how long. Also, what is the rough monetry value
lost if temperature goes out of range and presumably
wrecks the corals in a parcel? (i.e. a solution costing
£10 a go probably isn't viable to ship £1's worth of
coral.)

The temperature range is probably down to about 20-22 for most corals.
Ite depends on which part of the world they are from.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
nightjar

"Mark Trueman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there

In the near future im going to be sending aquatic livestock (corals) by
post and im looking for clever (and cheap) ways of keeping it warm in
the royal mail postal service for 18 hours or so.

The corals will be shipped in small, water filled plastic bags, and it
is this water that will need to be kept warm (26 degrees c preferred).

Any ingenious ideas as to how to best package this up so that the temp
doesnt drop too much?

The Post Office has restrictions on sending living creatures through the
post, which usually includes specifications for the packaging used. You
should contact Royal Mail customer service for guidance. I suspect they will
want more than just a plastic bag to retain the water, to protect other
goods in transit against a leak.

Colin Bignell

PM

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

[...]

The Royal Mail web site also lists "flammable solids" as being prohibited.
No wonder email is so popular!

Don't send obviously warm things through the post. They're using IR
cameras (and have done for some years) to spot potential parcel bombs.
Your corals are likely to get dynamite-fished! OTOH, external warmth
means your insulation has failed anyway.

If you want to keep something warm for a few hours, then Glauber's salt
is easy (the click-disk re-usable heat packs) They store plenty of
energy, have a low max temperature and can give you (IMHE) about 6
hours warmth in a suitably insulated container. 18 hours is tricky
though.

How big are these corals ? Will they fit into a wide-mouthed Thermos ?
Are they sensitive to excess temperature too ?

Ian Stirling

Mark Trueman wrote:
Hi there

In the near future im going to be sending aquatic livestock (corals) by
post and im looking for clever (and cheap) ways of keeping it warm in
the royal mail postal service for 18 hours or so.

The corals will be shipped in small, water filled plastic bags, and it
is this water that will need to be kept warm (26 degrees c preferred).

Any ingenious ideas as to how to best package this up so that the temp
doesnt drop too much?

Anything i can add to the package to keep it warm (but without having
to purchase expensive heat packs). Cant be too hot obviously, as it
would melt the bags!!

Firstly, as a ballpark.
1l water, 10cm styrofoam on each side. (10cm 8'*4' sheet = about 20 quid)
Styrofoam conducts about .04W/C/m^3.
So, at 10cm, that's .4W/C/m^2.
Area is about .09 square meters (hard to exactly determine), so you're
looking at .04W/C or so.
For a difference in temperature of some 15C, that's .6W.
Water has a thermal capacity of 4400J/Kg/C.
So, it'll rise (or fall) by 1C in 4400J/.6W = about 2 hours.
Or 8C in 24 hours.
Going to 2l water, and the same thickness of foam, you're looking at
double the heat capacity, and about 1.3 times the heat loss, or 6C in
24 hours.
You probably want to starve the corals for a day or so beforehand to make
sure they have no food in their guts, which will decompose in the post.

This would (with 2l and foam) give you a package around 3Kg, 35cm cube,
and costing perhaps 3 quid in materials.
dennis@home

"Mark Trueman" wrote in message
ups.com...
I do have plently of "poly-boxes" hanging around, but they are just too
big to ship a small fragment of a coral in. Im hoping to get ideas on
how to ship small packages and retain the heat.

Ask NASA if they have any spare insulating tiles.
I gather there may be some second-hand ones available soon.

On a serious note small packages and constant temperature don't go together.

What is the warmest you can start at and the coldest the coral can tolerate?
How much water will you ship with them?
Then you can work out how much insulation you need.

raden

In message .com, Mark
Trueman writes
Hi there

In the near future im going to be sending aquatic livestock (corals) by
post and im looking for clever (and cheap) ways of keeping it warm in
the royal mail postal service for 18 hours or so.

A dual combi system sounds like just what you need

The corals will be shipped in small, water filled plastic bags, and it
is this water that will need to be kept warm (26 degrees c preferred).

Well, I have to ask how did they get to you in a temperature controlled
manner in the first place?

Watford's hardly renowned for it's coral reefs

Any ingenious ideas as to how to best package this up so that the temp
doesnt drop too much?

Anything i can add to the package to keep it warm (but without having
to purchase expensive heat packs). Cant be too hot obviously, as it
would melt the bags!!

As hot as practicable and prolly plenty of polystyrene

Maybe also better to go for a courier who guarantees next day delivery

--
geoff
raden

In message .com, Mark
Trueman writes
Ok, so what would you view as the best form of insulation. Bubble wrap
must be pretty good for insulation in itself. I doubt i could line the
walls of the box with celotex however!!!

Polystyrene boxes ?
--
geoff
raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

[...]

Andy, I think you'll find that he is the tropical marine centre in
Watford

look at www.reefkeeper.co.uk

--
geoff

look at www.reefkeeper.co.uk

I was thinking of this one which is a wholesaler (I think one of the
main ones for the UK)

http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/

It's in Chorley Wood, but I suppose that's as near to Watford as
damn-it.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 21:15:21 GMT, raden wrote:

In message .com, Mark
Trueman writes
Hi there

In the near future im going to be sending aquatic livestock (corals) by
post and im looking for clever (and cheap) ways of keeping it warm in
the royal mail postal service for 18 hours or so.

A dual combi system sounds like just what you need

The corals will be shipped in small, water filled plastic bags, and it
is this water that will need to be kept warm (26 degrees c preferred).

Well, I have to ask how did they get to you in a temperature controlled
manner in the first place?

Watford's hardly renowned for it's coral reefs

I don't see why. Balham's noted for its vistas of Wimbledon Common.

If you look at the TMC site (other post) all is explained.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message .com, Mark
Trueman writes
Hi there

In the near future im going to be sending aquatic livestock (corals) by
post and im looking for clever (and cheap) ways of keeping it warm in
the royal mail postal service for 18 hours or so.

A dual combi system sounds like just what you need

Good thinking Maxie.

The corals will be shipped in small, water filled plastic bags, and it
is this water that will need to be kept warm (26 degrees c preferred).

Well, I have to ask how did they get to you in a temperature controlled
manner in the first place?

Watford's hardly renowned for it's coral reefs

But is for men up trees in frocks.

Any ingenious ideas as to how to best package this up so that the temp
doesnt drop too much?

Anything i can add to the package to keep it warm (but without having
to purchase expensive heat packs). Cant be too hot obviously, as it
would melt the bags!!

As hot as practicable and prolly plenty of polystyrene

Maybe also better to go for a courier who guarantees next day delivery

And one who can breath heavily on the packages.

look at www.reefkeeper.co.uk

I was thinking of this one which is a wholesaler (I think one of the
main ones for the UK)

http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/

It's in Chorley Wood, but I suppose that's as near to Watford as
damn-it.

OIC

I just recognised the name as I got him out of the **** last year when
his boiler pcb died - it could have been expensive

--
geoff
raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 21:15:21 GMT, raden wrote:

In message .com, Mark
Trueman writes
Hi there

In the near future im going to be sending aquatic livestock (corals) by
post and im looking for clever (and cheap) ways of keeping it warm in
the royal mail postal service for 18 hours or so.

A dual combi system sounds like just what you need

The corals will be shipped in small, water filled plastic bags, and it
is this water that will need to be kept warm (26 degrees c preferred).

Well, I have to ask how did they get to you in a temperature controlled
manner in the first place?

Watford's hardly renowned for it's coral reefs

I don't see why. Balham's noted for its vistas of Wimbledon Common.

If you look at the TMC site (other post) all is explained.

Hmm, I don't see any reference to live coral except

http://tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquarium/schuran-accessories.asp

I would have thought the rate of growth of coral would have been, to put
it mildly, slow

--
geoff

Andy Hall

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:17:25 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Andy Hall

If you look at the TMC site (other post) all is explained.

Hmm, I don't see any reference to live coral except

http://tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquarium/schuran-accessories.asp

I would have thought the rate of growth of coral would have been, to put
it mildly, slow

I'm pretty sure they supply corals. I know they supply
invertebrates.

Regarding growth; the main factors are stability of temperature,
chemical environment including salinity and trace elements, correct
oxygen levels and appropriate lighting spectrum and intensity.

With modern equipment, it's possible to get very good conditions for
growth of certain types of coral.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
ben

Mark Trueman wrote:
Hi there

In the near future im going to be sending aquatic livestock (corals)
by post and im looking for clever (and cheap) ways of keeping it warm
in the royal mail postal service for 18 hours or so.

Isn't there a law forbidding corals into this country, depending on what
they are being brought in for?

Andy Hall

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 23:22:34 GMT, "ben" wrote:

Mark Trueman wrote:
Hi there

In the near future im going to be sending aquatic livestock (corals)
by post and im looking for clever (and cheap) ways of keeping it warm
in the royal mail postal service for 18 hours or so.

Isn't there a law forbidding corals into this country, depending on what
they are being brought in for?

There are restrictions on importation of certain species of coral
under the CITES agreement.

http://www.ukcites.gov.uk/intro/cites_species.htm

The appendices 1-3 define species and purpose.

http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.pdf

Keep in mind that for many species (not particularly corals), the wild
environment is endangered in itself to the point of no longer being
able to support them.

Not that many years ago, it was impossible to breed marine fish in
captivity. Now it is possible with an increasing number as technology
has improved.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:17:25 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Andy Hall

If you look at the TMC site (other post) all is explained.

Hmm, I don't see any reference to live coral except

http://tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquarium/schuran-accessories.asp

I would have thought the rate of growth of coral would have been, to put
it mildly, slow

I'm pretty sure they supply corals. I know they supply
invertebrates.

Regarding growth; the main factors are stability of temperature,
chemical environment including salinity and trace elements, correct
oxygen levels and appropriate lighting spectrum and intensity.

With modern equipment, it's possible to get very good conditions for
growth of certain types of coral.

So, out of interest, how much would, say, one of those fan corals grow
in a year ?

--
geoff
Andy Hall

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 00:31:05 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:17:25 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Andy Hall

If you look at the TMC site (other post) all is explained.

Hmm, I don't see any reference to live coral except

http://tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquarium/schuran-accessories.asp

I would have thought the rate of growth of coral would have been, to put
it mildly, slow

I'm pretty sure they supply corals. I know they supply
invertebrates.

Regarding growth; the main factors are stability of temperature,
chemical environment including salinity and trace elements, correct
oxygen levels and appropriate lighting spectrum and intensity.

With modern equipment, it's possible to get very good conditions for
growth of certain types of coral.

So, out of interest, how much would, say, one of those fan corals grow
in a year ?

Highly variable. Here's a few references

http://www.marinereef.org/reports.php?reportid=2

http://www.oceanwatch.org/what_is_coral.htm

http://fishroom.seaplace.org/Coral%2...-capstalk.html

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
[...]

http://fishroom.seaplace.org/Coral%2...d%20microcosms
-capstalk.html

So say for a 0.1 sqm coral, that's a gram a day
What does a 0.1 sqm coral weigh, a kilo ?
so to a very rough approximation that's a bit over a 1/3 increase in
mass/ year

A bit like breeding Koi then, an investment of several years to get a
saleable result, but still, faster than I would have thought

--
geoff
John Cartmell

In article ,
ben wrote:
Mark Trueman wrote:
Hi there

In the near future im going to be sending aquatic livestock (corals)
by post and im looking for clever (and cheap) ways of keeping it warm
in the royal mail postal service for 18 hours or so.

Isn't there a law forbidding corals into this country, depending on what
they are being brought in for?

There certainly should be.

underfoor heating firm uponor do a foil backed bubble wrap designed for
added heat reflectance.

my girlfriends brother posts ice cream for his business using well
insulated boxes, so this idea is definitely possible. have you
considered including some form of heat retainer such as those
microwaveable pocket hand warmers?

ben

Andy Hall

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 10:49:37 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

In article ,
ben wrote:
Mark Trueman wrote:
Hi there

In the near future im going to be sending aquatic livestock (corals)
by post and im looking for clever (and cheap) ways of keeping it warm
in the royal mail postal service for 18 hours or so.

Isn't there a law forbidding corals into this country, depending on what
they are being brought in for?

There certainly should be.

Like all things environmental, there are many aspects.

The most sensitive and endangered species of coral are protected with
CITES appendix 1 where their natural environments are not threatened
in themselves. One big problem is that the natural environments for
many of them in themselves are threatened from all manner of
deliberate and careless activities; so just doing nothing is not the
right answer. Of these there are some species where it is simply not
possible to maintain them or breed them outside their natural
environment. Given that this is getting worse in many cases (not
through harvesting in most cases); if nothing is done at all to make
captive breeding possible, they will inevitably not survive.

Appendix 2 covers species where there is better availability and where
it is possible to maintain and breed in captivity. Much of the work
and the success in the marine area for this to happen has been through
people willing to invest their time and money on captive maintenance
and breeding. Particularly in the area of marine fish and even more
so in the area of marine invertebrates, huge successes have been
achieved in the last 10-20 years as technology has improved as well as
the understanding of conditions and water chemistry required.

I'll give you a different example. I keep and breed snakes -
specifically Brazilian Rainbow Boas (Epicrates Cenchria Cenchria).
These have a natural habitat of the rain forest and there numbers in
the wild have fallen dramatically in recent years. Boidae in general
are now on CITES appendix 2 with a few species on appendix 1.

However, it is possible, relatively easily to maintain and breed them
in captivity. Ultimately they are not threatened as a species and have
the potential to be re-introduced when the political and economic
climate changes. I say that it's relatively easy. To maintain
these animals requires maintaining their temperature at between 27 and
30 degrees (although less critically than fish) and importantly the
humidity of their environment at 50-80% relative. Moreover, for
breeding purposes, a temperature drop has to be created over a
controlled period to cause them to mate and for their reproductive
systems to work. I built all of the systems to do this myself (to
bring this back to being a DIY project). Heating has to be carefully
arranged because of water being around and is backed up. Humidity is
controlled with a misting system driven by pumps, also backed up. I
log what's going on by computer as well.

None of this is cheap to do and frankly I make no money from it. Sadly
I can only do this for one species because they can't really be mixed,
but each time there are neonates I'm reminded that it's very
worthwhile.

If we had a perfect world where there wasn't environmental
destruction, I might agree that species should be left alone. However,
we don't have that and are not likely to. Since much of the
destruction is careless and consequential from man's activities rather
than directly because of it, I think that it is environmentally
responsible to select and maintain some, where and if it can be done
until environmental issues can be resolved.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 10:49:37 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

In article ,
ben wrote:
Mark Trueman wrote:
[...]

Boy, you are odd.

ben

Huge wrote:
John Cartmell writes:
In article ,
ben wrote:
Mark Trueman wrote:
Hi there

In the near future im going to be sending aquatic livestock
(corals) by post and im looking for clever (and cheap) ways of
keeping it warm in the royal mail postal service for 18 hours or
so.

Isn't there a law forbidding corals into this country, depending on
what they are being brought in for?

There certainly should be.

IIRC, the import of dead tropical corals is forbidden. That's not
what the OP is talking about.

Hmmm! do you know exactly what the OP has intended to do, by bringing them
in live? Dead they would not be allowed in.

ben

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 10:49:37 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

In article ,
ben wrote:
Mark Trueman wrote:
[...]

Why is he odd? just because he believes in a cause, doesn't mean he's weird.

Doctor Drivel

"ben" wrote in message
news
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 10:49:37 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

In article ,
ben wrote:
Mark Trueman wrote:
[...]

Keeps snakes? That is odd. They should;don't any creature into this
country which is not indigenous. They could acclimatise and breed. They
last thing we want is insects and snakes around.

ben

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"ben" wrote in message
news
Doctor Drivel wrote:

[snip]
Why is he odd? just because he believes in a cause, doesn't mean
he's weird.

Keeps snakes? That is odd. They should;don't any creature into this
country which is not indigenous. They could acclimatise and breed.
They last thing we want is insects and snakes around.

He's no more odd than people who keep Monkey's,Tigers or African greys.

Andy Hall

On 6 Aug 2005 10:47:46 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

John Cartmell writes:
In article ,
ben wrote:
Mark Trueman wrote:
Hi there

In the near future im going to be sending aquatic livestock (corals)
by post and im looking for clever (and cheap) ways of keeping it warm
in the royal mail postal service for 18 hours or so.

Isn't there a law forbidding corals into this country, depending on what
they are being brought in for?

There certainly should be.

IIRC, the import of dead tropical corals is forbidden. That's not what the
OP is talking about.

That was done some years ago to discourage a common practice of
dynamiting reefs to get hard corals for gift shops.

It was easy money for them. Governments in countries with reefs have
been moderately effective at enforcement of this and also of another
unsavoury practice of dropping drugs (typically dilute cyanides) over
the side of boats to make fish for shipment easier to catch. While
this typically didn't kill the fish outright, it did severely weaken
them. Again it has been cut substantially by having responsible and
retricted trade controls which also look at sustainability.

There are all manners of inconsistency though. Some species of
Surgeon fish aka Tangs (Acanthurus) were going to be CITES listed,
although in fact are moderately plentiful and even show up in fish
markets as edible fish. Same with Lionfish (Pterois).

The ivory trade was banned because of dwindling elephant numbers in
certain areas of Africa. In fact, more elephant were lost with the
unrelated wars going on in Angola and environs than with elephant
hunting explicitly. A few months ago, I made a visit to Botswana and
saw a heard of approximately 300 elephant making their way through the
bush. An amazing sight that I'll never forget. Sadly, they are
having to consider culling as one option because the vegetation is
inadequate to support the numbers and there are signs of some losing
weight and dying anyway. Their best hope is a trucking program north
into some of the areas of Angola formerly wrecked by man's inhumanity
to man.

These are all difficult issues, and unless one understands the
totality of the situation; looking from afar often results in
decisions and restrictions on a mainly emotive basis rather than the
ones that actually make sense for species survival.

Warm air heating Jim Crow UK diy 27 November 17th 05 11:39 AM
Warm wires Brian UK diy 3 May 16th 05 09:21 AM
Slightly OT (but I bet one of you knows) - Memory loss, bedding - blanket type Gnube UK diy 1 August 13th 03 09:03 PM
Slightly O/T.. Lawnmower problem Scott Bowers UK diy 7 August 12th 03 12:33 AM