Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jill

Default PC won't start

likely because it's a Dell, but I thought I would ask for help anyway.

So, here's the deal. Things been a POS from the get go, and spent the
last year sitting on a desk bearly used (maybe once a month). A couple
of months ago my system went down and the Dell became the new home office
computer. Since, it's been running 24hrs a day, as I never turn my
desktop off (for a number of reasons).

Last night I moved it from one room to another and set it back up and
when I pressed the power button, nothing happened. I held it down fir a
minute to try and reset it and turned the power bar off (which caused the
lights on the front of the case to light up breifly maybe as a means of
flushing any risidual power out?) and then turned the power back on
again. After pressing the power button a couple of more times in
frustration, IT STARTS!

Since its now in my bedroom, I turned it off when I was done and it
hasn't been willing to turn on again since. I spent some time screwing
with the button, but no go.

So, I figure its the power supply. Swapped it out for the one from the
broken system (since it was the mobo that went on that one) and I ended
up with a very strange result. The new PS is a Super Flower 350W/370W (?
if that makes sense) and has three fan settings. Each of these settings
has its own colour light (blue, green and red) to make it easy to see
what speed you have it on. Now, with this new PS in, when turn the PS
on, I get a flash of lights on the front of the case, the fan spins for a
second and then the fan light goes very dim. Its still on, but very
faint. When I press the power button on the front of the case, still
nothing happens. When I turn the PS off, I get the same thing; fan light
gets bright, fan spins for a sec, lights on front of case, then the power
goes off.

unplugged everything, but 1 stick of RAM, 1 HD, and that's about it.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Doug

At work they bought Dells thin line I think, anyway almost every one
has failed.. Dell has extended the warranty . If yours is less tan 2
years old I would check.. If I remember correctly the problem is caps
on the main board were bad.. Look at the the capacitors for bulging or
leakage on the board.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"Jill" wrote in message
[...]

About the only thing left is the motherboard itself. These power supplies
are fairly sensitive to overload, and will shut themselves down, which might
be what you are seeing happening when the lights dim.

In the last couple of years, there was an issue with ' fake ' electrolytic
capacitors which had been purchased by a number of far east MB
manufacturers, and incorporated into their products. These started to fail
in fairly short order, but some kept going for quite some time. As I recall,
the ones which gave most trouble, were all located physically around the CPU
chip, and you could see the tops of them bulging when they went bad.

Might be way off beam here, and there's probably others on here who might be
able to better advise you, but that's my two penn'orth anyway, for what it's
worth.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Jill" wrote in message
[...]

You don't say how old it is, but some years ago (around the PII era IIRC)
Dell were much criticised for switching the pinouts around on their power
supplies and motherboards, so you had to buy their exact replacements.
Fitting a standard ATX power supply was seemingly straightforward as there
was no obvious clue they were different, but as soon as it wss powered on,
there was catastrophic failure of the motherboard and/or the power supply,
or if one was lucky the power supply would just shut down before any damage
was done. I'd check the Dell power supply is indeed a standard type, which
it will be if it's fairly recent.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Kevin S.

Dave D wrote:
"Jill" wrote in message
[...]

One other thing to try if it's a model that has one, is the riser
board. I used to have to support a site that had a bunch of Optiplex
GX1's and about half of them wouldn't power up with their riser boards
in 'em after a year or so. A documented Dell defect... Pull the riser
if it's got one and see if it fires up.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jill

it's a fairly new machine; probably just 2 years. Thinking P4 2.3ghz or
thereabouts.

What a disaster.

Arfa's comments about the PS overloading and shutting down seem to fit
what I am seeing with the lights, but I have carefully inspected all the
capacitors and there doesn't seem to be any visable evidence. Also, it's
a dimension desktop and erverything I read about the capacitor problems
are on Optiplex MBs.

Not quite sure what is next; probably a $30 charge to get it looked at by
one of the local shops.

Thx for the info,

"Dave D" wrote in
news

"Jill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jill

"Kevin S." wrote in
ups.com:

Dave D wrote:
"Jill" wrote in message
[...]

Its a Dimension 4600.

Sorry, should have added that to my earlier post.

Cheers,

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel

Jill wrote:
it's a fairly new machine; probably just 2 years. Thinking P4 2.3ghz or
thereabouts.

What a disaster.

Arfa's comments about the PS overloading and shutting down seem to fit
what I am seeing with the lights, but I have carefully inspected all the
capacitors and there doesn't seem to be any visable evidence. Also, it's
a dimension desktop and erverything I read about the capacitor problems
are on Optiplex MBs.

Not quite sure what is next; probably a $30 charge to get it looked at by
one of the local shops.

Thx for the info,

Hi...

If it hasn't already been suggested one thing you might
want to try is pulling out cards one by one - ie pull the
video card, see if there's any (lights) difference when you
try to start it. Do the same with network card, sound card,
and so on. Perhaps one of them is faulty.

Maybe even try the same trick with the floppy and cd etc
power connectors.

Take care.

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jill:
Gosh..... for just $30..... take it to the shop and stop guessing and
worrying.
electricitym

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
cnctut

Jill wrote:
[...]

Jill--

I had a similiar problem with an older 1.4G unit. After some
experimentation discoverved that if I held a hair blower on high cool
at the back of the power supply and spun up the fan for a few seconds,
then attempted to boot the computer the unit would start--but the hair
blower couldn't be shutoff until the total boot sequence was complete.
Once the unit was up and running the hair dryer could be removed and
the unit worked fine until shutdown. Then get out the hair
dryer--finally bought new computer.

Good luck

Tut

Fresh Start vs. Sta-bil G Home Repair 7 November 9th 05 07:38 AM
RPC run capacitors Martin Whybrow Metalworking 4 August 6th 05 06:29 PM
Sony Vega 32" won't start Jade Dragon Electronics Repair 3 January 10th 05 05:58 PM
Tecumseh HMSK-80 Hard to start, need help Jeff Wisnia Home Repair 0 February 22nd 04 01:43 AM