Default Fresh Start vs. Sta-bil

I recently bought a Craftsman 38886 from Sears, works
great, no complaints from me so far. But it came with a
proprietary fuel cap from Briggs & Stratton that
dispenses fuel stablizer (called Fresh Start) into the
gas for supposedly up to 6 months (I'm about 1 month
into it and the cap is still fairly full).

Since my mower came with it, I was going to just stick
with it during the winter storage period along with a
full gas tank to prevent the moisture condensation you
folks mention if I leave it empty for the winter.

Question:
Anybody have any longer-term experience with the Fresh
Start stabilizer vs. Sta-bil?

Any opinions on whether or not I should stick with that
stuff or switch to Sta-bil BEFORE next season and before
the stuff runs out?

Also, if next season, when the Fresh Start has run out,
can I then add Sta-bil instead, or does mixing fuel
stabilizers cause potential problems?
Tom J

"G" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/dis...sp?docid=78493

I'd use the cheapest.
As for me, I have a shut-off valve in the gas line and run the engine
until it dies. I only add Sta-bil to the tank if it's going to sit for
more than 4 months. My current mower is over 35 years old, has never
had anything done but change spark plug about every 5 years and still
cranks on the 1st or 2nd pull.

Tom J

Toller

Never used Fresh Start, or even heard of it for that matter; but the idea
seems stupid.
You don't need the drip thing during mowing season, and you don't want it
during storage. So when would it ever be useful?

I store gas in my generator with Sta-bil in it; starting it for 5 minutes
once a month. It gets progressively harder to start until I change the gas
after a year.
On the other hand, I have never put anything but gas & oil in my weedwacker,
lawn blower, or chain saw, and have never had any trouble starting them;
even after a year of no use. Maybe 2 cycle is less sensitive to bad gas?

mm

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 22:16:01 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

Never used Fresh Start, or even heard of it for that matter; but the idea
seems stupid.
You don't need the drip thing during mowing season, and you don't want it

Two reasons for the drip thing during mowing season.

1) You never know when you'll stop mowing, either because you have a
heart attack or you get a new mower, even though you already have one.
So you're *always* ready for the end of the mowing season. Remember,
insurance will pay for treating the heart attack, but it won't pay for
repairing the lawn mower.

2) Some people would rather put the stuff in every tank of gas than
have to remember to do anything at the end of the season.

Not saying these are good reasons, but since I got two working mowers
(out of 6) I can't decide which one to use each time. The one that is
in front of the others, or the other one for a change. Or which one
I'll try to fix next. Or when the end of the outdoor mowing or
repair seasons will be. So I put Sta-bil in all the gas tanks,
probably cost less than a dollar total, and I don't have to think
anymore.

during storage. So when would it ever be useful?

I store gas in my generator with Sta-bil in it; starting it for 5 minutes
once a month. It gets progressively harder to start until I change the gas
after a year.

Interesting.

On the other hand, I have never put anything but gas & oil in my weedwacker,
lawn blower, or chain saw, and have never had any trouble starting them;
even after a year of no use. Maybe 2 cycle is less sensitive to bad gas?

I wouldn't be surpirsed. IIUC, it's not that the gas is bad. It's
that it leaves gum in small apertures. Maybe the oil prevents that.
Maybe it's the oil in 2-cycle mixtures that gave them the idea for
Sta-bil. Just a guess.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Robatoy

In article ,
"Toller" wrote:

Never used Fresh Start, or even heard of it for that matter; but the idea
seems stupid.

Just marketing hype. There will be a laser on the frickin things soon
enough.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

mm wrote:
Not saying these are good reasons, but since I got two working mowers
(out of 6) I can't decide which one to use each time. The one that is
in front of the others, or the other one for a change. Or which one
I'll try to fix next. Or when the end of the outdoor mowing or
repair seasons will be. So I put Sta-bil in all the gas tanks,
probably cost less than a dollar total, and I don't have to think
anymore.

I have a five gallon can that I add Sta-bil to when I fill it. I use that can
both to feed the John Deere directly and to fill a smaller one gallon can that I
then mix with oil for the chain saw, weed eater, etc. I don't have to worry
about when I'll use anything next.

Considering the cost, it's cheap insurance.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Neither. I use Sea Foam, adding it directly to the gas cans in the
proper mixture. I also dry out my mower, trimmer, etc. at the end of
the season, removing all gas and running the carburetors empty.

Steveo

G wrote:
Also, if next season, when the Fresh Start has run out,
can I then add Sta-bil instead, or does mixing fuel
stabilizers cause potential problems?

Run it out of gas and drain the tank. (free)