Posted to sci.electronics.repair
RJK

Default NEC FE750 17" PC occasional field collapse

Hello all,

Can anyone help me as to how or where to locate a fault in my NEC FE750
monitor (.25mm dot pitch / flat aperture grille tube). Every few hours,
(it's done it about 5 times now over the past few days), I get loud "Clunk"
sound as if it's just been switched on or off - picture field collapses to a
bright horizontal white/magenta line, (pretty sure it's not white), field
collapse lasts for just a second then "clunk" again, and Windows desktop
appears in the middle of a degauss cycle then it's fine again for hours.

This NEC monitor was in storage from new along with several others for
years, I've had this one for about a year, tube is like new. Shame to have
chuck it for the sake of a disc capacitor ...if that's all that's wrong !!

....any pointers, or referral to a good monitor repair technician
appreciated.

regards, Richard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

RJK wrote:
[...]

You've probably got a cracked solder joint in there somewhere, perhaps
in the vertical or power supply area. Don't keep using like that or
you'll likely cause further damage.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
RJK

Thanx James,
Perhaps tommorrow I'll whip off the cover and take a look around it with a
bright light and a magnifying glass, if I can't spot anything with the naked
eye.
Tiz all so time consuming ...so many other things to do !

regards, Richard

"James Sweet" wrote in message
RJK wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
RJK

....I whipped off the back and removed the tin shield, blew it out with my
old faithfull electrolux "cylinder" vacuum cleaner - (where you can connect
the hose on a hole at the top to blow - bought it at a boot sale for £5
several years ago....stripped cleaned it and put a tiny drop of oil on each
motor bearing....marvellous for blowing out PC cases . / PSU's etc.)....the
pallaver to get the board out of the thing is a major time consuming joke,
so I reassembled it, I'm going to throw it away if it plays up and get a LCD
monitor from my favourite vendor http://www.aria.co.uk

BTW ...since blowing it out, I haven't had a single field collapse !!
....tracking or arcing via dust ??

regards, Richard

RJK wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
RJK

....STILL no collapses !!!!

....am pretty sure now that it must have been tracking across dust, there
was some pretty grim black looking powdery dust in there - not excessively
thick, ...very little "household/skin" dust. ...or did I disturb that dry
joint in there, in a beneficial fashion ? !!! :-)

regards, Richard