Posted to sci.electronics.repair
RJK

Default NEC FE750 17" PC occasional field collapse

Thanx James,
Perhaps tommorrow I'll whip off the cover and take a look around it with a
bright light and a magnifying glass, if I can't spot anything with the naked
eye.
Tiz all so time consuming ...so many other things to do !

regards, Richard

"James Sweet" wrote in message
RJK wrote:
Hello all,

Can anyone help me as to how or where to locate a fault in my NEC FE750
monitor (.25mm dot pitch / flat aperture grille tube). Every few hours,
(it's done it about 5 times now over the past few days), I get loud
"Clunk" sound as if it's just been switched on or off - picture field
collapses to a bright horizontal white/magenta line, (pretty sure it's
not white), field collapse lasts for just a second then "clunk" again,
and Windows desktop appears in the middle of a degauss cycle then it's
fine again for hours.

This NEC monitor was in storage from new along with several others for
years, I've had this one for about a year, tube is like new. Shame to
have chuck it for the sake of a disc capacitor ...if that's all that's
wrong !!

...any pointers, or referral to a good monitor repair technician
appreciated.

regards, Richard

You've probably got a cracked solder joint in there somewhere, perhaps in
the vertical or power supply area. Don't keep using like that or you'll
likely cause further damage.