Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LCD and Lightening

When our house got hit by lightening one of the items that got fried
was an NEC Multisync LCD1545v monitor. Visably no components seem to be
charred and the fuse is ok.
When the unit is turned on nothing happens.
Any hints as to where I should start probing?

tia

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

wrote in message
ups.com...
When our house got hit by lightening one of the items that got fried
was an NEC Multisync LCD1545v monitor. Visably no components seem to be
charred and the fuse is ok.
When the unit is turned on nothing happens.
Any hints as to where I should start probing?

tia

Probably, the first place to be probing, would be in your household
paperwork, to see if you can find the insurance policy to check if lightning
damage to electronic goods is covered ...

Seriously though, in my experience, any electronic equipment that has failed
as a result of a lightning strike, will be beyond repair. Often, things like
system control micros will have been damaged. Even if you find a problem
that gets the item going again, you will often find that it comes bouncing
back again a few weeks later, with a different problem. The internals of
semiconductors - particularly LSIs - are delicate, and surge damage can be
subtle and not complete, the actual failure occuring after another few hours
use.

Just my opinion, but based on years of experience in the repair business.
Others may think differently.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
Seriously though, in my experience, any electronic equipment that has
failed as a result of a lightning strike, will be beyond repair. Often,
things like system control micros will have been damaged. Even if you find
a problem that gets the item going again, you will often find that it
comes bouncing back again a few weeks later, with a different problem. The
internals of semiconductors - particularly LSIs - are delicate, and surge
damage can be subtle and not complete, the actual failure occuring after
another few hours use.

Just my opinion, but based on years of experience in the repair business.
Others may think differently.

I think that it is worth checking it out. I fixed 6 sets in the last week
that had nearby lightning strikes, one that actually struck the home, and
all were ok except for the power supply damage.

Many times there is damage that makes it impractical to repair lightning
damaged items, but it is hard to tell without checking it out.

Leonard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
carneyke

I have to agree with Leonard, somtimes it's blown fuses / diodes and
sometimes, well scrap !!!!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"carneyke" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have to agree with Leonard, somtimes it's blown fuses / diodes and
sometimes, well scrap !!!!!

The point I was making, however, is that often it is the unseen damage that
comes back to bite you on the arse a few weeks later, that is the big issue
with lightning damage. On many occasions, I have repaired what appeared to
be ' simple ' lightning damage to a power supply or whatever, only to have
the job come bouncing back 3 weeks later with the extremely expensive micro
dead, and a customer in tow bleating that I only fixed it 3 weeks ago, and
that I should repair it again under warranty ...

If it's your own unit, and you find something like a blown fuse, then fine,
go ahead and replace it. You might strike lucky and it will be fine for ever
more. Just don't be surprised if the unit mysteriously fails again with a
different problem, for no apparent reason, sooner rather than later. By this
time, it will be too late, of course, to get it replaced on your insurance

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"carneyke" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I have been fixing lightning damaged items for a couple of decades and have
seen very few problems of this type come back to bite me. I have more of a
problem with really old equipment bouncing back.

Leonard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in message
.. .

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"carneyke" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

That's for sure Leonard ! Why is it that customers think that items 20 years
old should still be fixable, reliably, and for a nonsensically low price ?
In recent years, I've managed to persuade most of the stores that I do work
for, not to take in anything older than about 7 years, unless they call and
ask me first ( so that nice old Quad amps and things that really ARE
repairable and worth doing, don't slip past ).

I reckon that you've been lucky with your lightning damaged kit. Either
that, or we have more aggressive lightning round here ... !! d;-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK)

Arfa Daily wrote:

I reckon that you've been lucky with your lightning damaged kit. Either
that, or we have more aggressive lightning round here ... !! d;-)

Arfa

Well, that's yer proper British lightning isnt it.

Ron(UK)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"Ron(UK)" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

I reckon that you've been lucky with your lightning damaged kit. Either
that, or we have more aggressive lightning round here ... !! d;-)

Arfa

Well, that's yer proper British lightning isnt it.

Ron(UK)

Absolutely Ron !

None of your imitation stuff this side of the pond ... !!

Arfa