Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default LCD and Lightening

wrote in message
ups.com...
When our house got hit by lightening one of the items that got fried
was an NEC Multisync LCD1545v monitor. Visably no components seem to be
charred and the fuse is ok.
When the unit is turned on nothing happens.
Any hints as to where I should start probing?

tia

Probably, the first place to be probing, would be in your household
paperwork, to see if you can find the insurance policy to check if lightning
damage to electronic goods is covered ...

Seriously though, in my experience, any electronic equipment that has failed
as a result of a lightning strike, will be beyond repair. Often, things like
system control micros will have been damaged. Even if you find a problem
that gets the item going again, you will often find that it comes bouncing
back again a few weeks later, with a different problem. The internals of
semiconductors - particularly LSIs - are delicate, and surge damage can be
subtle and not complete, the actual failure occuring after another few hours
use.

Just my opinion, but based on years of experience in the repair business.
Others may think differently.

Arfa