Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

Default LCD and Lightening

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
Seriously though, in my experience, any electronic equipment that has
failed as a result of a lightning strike, will be beyond repair. Often,
things like system control micros will have been damaged. Even if you find
a problem that gets the item going again, you will often find that it
comes bouncing back again a few weeks later, with a different problem. The
internals of semiconductors - particularly LSIs - are delicate, and surge
damage can be subtle and not complete, the actual failure occuring after
another few hours use.

Just my opinion, but based on years of experience in the repair business.
Others may think differently.

I think that it is worth checking it out. I fixed 6 sets in the last week
that had nearby lightning strikes, one that actually struck the home, and
all were ok except for the power supply damage.

Many times there is damage that makes it impractical to repair lightning
damaged items, but it is hard to tell without checking it out.

Leonard