Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

Default LCD and Lightening

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"carneyke" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have to agree with Leonard, somtimes it's blown fuses / diodes and
sometimes, well scrap !!!!!

The point I was making, however, is that often it is the unseen damage
that comes back to bite you on the arse a few weeks later, that is the big
issue with lightning damage. On many occasions, I have repaired what
appeared to be ' simple ' lightning damage to a power supply or whatever,
only to have the job come bouncing back 3 weeks later with the extremely
expensive micro dead, and a customer in tow bleating that I only fixed it
3 weeks ago, and that I should repair it again under warranty ...

If it's your own unit, and you find something like a blown fuse, then
fine, go ahead and replace it. You might strike lucky and it will be fine
for ever more. Just don't be surprised if the unit mysteriously fails
again with a different problem, for no apparent reason, sooner rather than
later. By this time, it will be too late, of course, to get it replaced on
your insurance ...

Arfa

I have been fixing lightning damaged items for a couple of decades and have
seen very few problems of this type come back to bite me. I have more of a
problem with really old equipment bouncing back.

Leonard