Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred

Default Question - CD changer alignment

Is it difficult to align a cd changer? I have an older Denon DCM 440 cd
changer (5 disc tray) that needs alignment. If I can I like to try and fix
things myself and if I screw up it is no big loss in this case.
Thanks for any help.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

"Fred" wrote in message
Is it difficult to align a cd changer? I have an older Denon DCM 440 cd
changer (5 disc tray) that needs alignment. If I can I like to try and fix
things myself and if I screw up it is no big loss in this case.
Thanks for any help.

What makes you think it needs alignment?

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred

Hi,
When playing a cd, it "skips" forward through the cd and the lens has been
cleaned with no effect. It only plays a few seconds of each song here and
there. I was told at a repair shop that it likely needs to be aligned. If
it was a simple enough repair I figured I would try it.
Thanks

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
m...

"Fred" wrote in message
Is it difficult to align a cd changer? I have an older Denon DCM 440 cd
changer (5 disc tray) that needs alignment. If I can I like to try and
fix things myself and if I screw up it is no big loss in this case.
Thanks for any help.

What makes you think it needs alignment?

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"Fred" wrote in message
Is it difficult to align a cd changer? I have an older Denon DCM 440
cd changer (5 disc tray) that needs alignment. If I can I like to try
and fix things myself and if I screw up it is no big loss in this case.
Thanks for any help.

What makes you think it needs alignment?

Mark Z.

If the unit has setup pots, you could try turning up the one called Tracking
Gain a little, which may help, but the kind of problem you are describing,
if not attributable to the mechanics of sled drive, is usually due to a worn
laser. I can't remember which laser this model has in it, but many Denons
use standard Sony types, most of which are readily available and cheap. If
it is a Sony type, it will have a little label on the connector pcb at the
back of the laser, which will have the type printed on it. It will start "
KSS " then some figures such as 210A or 210B or 212 or 213 etc. The letter
which follows the numbers is important.

And other reply-ers. Please don't top post. It makes threads difficult to
follow ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

"Fred" wrote in message
Is it difficult to align a cd changer? I have an older Denon DCM 440 cd
changer (5 disc tray) that needs alignment. If I can I like to try and
fix things myself and if I screw up it is no big loss in this case.
Thanks for any help.

What makes you think it needs alignment?

Mark Z.

Lots of problems like this are fixed with routine maintenance, such as
cleaning - lubricating sled rails, gears, sliders, the spindle motor shaft,
etc.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
news

"Fred" wrote in message
Is it difficult to align a cd changer? I have an older Denon DCM 440
cd changer (5 disc tray) that needs alignment. If I can I like to try
and fix things myself and if I screw up it is no big loss in this case.
Thanks for any help.

What makes you think it needs alignment?

Mark Z.

Lots of problems like this are fixed with routine maintenance, such as
cleaning - lubricating sled rails, gears, sliders, the spindle motor
shaft, etc.

Mark Z.

P.S.

I just got through with a similar reply and decided I should have elaborated
on this one a bit better. Here's the reply to the other guy - mostly it
would apply here as well.

"Cleaning discs are a waste of time and money. A proper cleaning and routine
maintenance will very often fix problems like this.

The lens cleaning is easy - one just takes 2 cotton swabs, fluff up the ends
a bit. Have one moistened but not dripping with window cleaner or isopropyl
alcohol. GENTLY clean the lens with the damp one using a rolling motion,
follow with the other to catch any residue.

A small drop of light oil at the spindle motor shaft (use the dry end of a
swab to remove any excess) is a good idea.

Other gears and sliding surfaces can be cleaned and re-greased.

Your player could have other problems - a bad or marginal motor for example,
but many pickups are replaced unnecessarily, and circuit adjustments will
usually only partially compensate for what is really wrong. For example,
adjusting the tracking gain might somewhat compensate for a lubrication
problem involving the sled assembly. For this reason, adjustments should
usually only be attempted by a technician with a service manual in hand, or
at least with a knowledgeable technique."

Mark Z.

Panasonic SA-PM148 5vcd changer alignment jango2 Electronics Repair 0 January 3rd 06 11:20 AM
Alignment instructions for Denon DCM 440 CD changer? austin0065 Electronics Repair 0 December 15th 05 03:24 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Follow Up: Cd changer repair question Adam Electronics Repair 1 October 8th 04 12:50 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM