Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc

Default Smell of burned capacitors...

I have a function generator that burned up a tantalum capacitor (which
shorted) and a 2-watt resistor. Fixing it electrically was no problem, but
there is a scorched place on the circuit board and a terrible smell.

Today I made some progress against the smell. I had been airing the
generator out, covers off, in my attic (which is not hot at this time of
year), for about 3 days with little progress. Today I figured out that the
bulk of the smell was actually in a large calibration-instructions chart
that was glued to the inside of the case. I Xeroxed it and peeled off and
discarded the original; much better. I've also given the whole circuit
board a spraying with contact cleaner and then with isopropyl alcohol.

Any other ideas? The smell was so strong that even with all the covers on
the function generator, it was quite noticeable throughout the workshop.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charles Schuler

"mc" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Charcoal briquettes in a closed container?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
TimPerry

"mc" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

simple green or other mild detergent applied with toothbrush or paintbrush.
rinse with clean water. air dry or gently apply heat gun or hair dryer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc

Any other ideas? The smell was so strong that even with all the covers
on the function generator, it was quite noticeable throughout the
workshop.

Charcoal briquettes in a closed container?

Maybe. I'm thinking of putting a drop of one-drop deodorizer on the inside
of the case when I close it up.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gb

"TimPerry" wrote in message

"mc" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Tim has the right idea. The Collins radio restorers swear by Simple Green
for cleaning and restoration work.

I am cleaning a receiver (previous 25 year owner was a smoker). After doing
all of your steps with contact cleaner, Windex, isopropyl alcohol and
distilled water in key areas .. it still had a slight odor.

So, I tried Simple Green with cotton swabs and Q-tips. Brought up brown in
areas that I had previously cleaned. Simple Green also has a slight
pleasant odor. It's better -- but will take quite a bit of Q-tips and
cleaning still !

gb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert

gb wrote:
"TimPerry" wrote in message

"mc" wrote in message
t...

[...]

I am on an aircraft listserv. The subject of Simple Green for cleaning
airframes came up recently. Apparently, both the FAA and US Military
have banned it for being corrosive to aluminum. The SG folks have
released a new aviation formula specifically for the purpose.

Might be worth keeping in mind....

jak
gb