Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charles Schuler

Default Smell of burned capacitors...

"mc" wrote in message
. ..
I have a function generator that burned up a tantalum capacitor (which
shorted) and a 2-watt resistor. Fixing it electrically was no problem, but
there is a scorched place on the circuit board and a terrible smell.

Today I made some progress against the smell. I had been airing the
generator out, covers off, in my attic (which is not hot at this time of
year), for about 3 days with little progress. Today I figured out that
the bulk of the smell was actually in a large calibration-instructions
chart that was glued to the inside of the case. I Xeroxed it and peeled
off and discarded the original; much better. I've also given the whole
circuit board a spraying with contact cleaner and then with isopropyl
alcohol.

Any other ideas? The smell was so strong that even with all the covers on
the function generator, it was quite noticeable throughout the workshop.

Charcoal briquettes in a closed container?