Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jason D.

Default another DTV307 with broken blue CRT.

Ok, it is DTV307 chassis and 60" size. Another edsel!

HISTORY:
Originally had to change blue CRT for a bad spot which means unit was
functioning prior to this. After the CRT change, the unit kept
shutting down and had diffcult time getting them adjusted to get all
CRT playing together or else it shuts down or awful pic, have to
adjust per service manual to balance CRTs and do grey scale set up.
For this, had to replace other 2 CRT to get all this working. Except
this doesn't stop the shut downs.

Set at our shop with test image of windows via DVI cable
getting around to checking with scope probe and check voltages. Come
back to find unit dead, CRT neck broken in two where CRT flares out
from neck. Sigh.

Contacted RCA local service area and suggested vertical problems but
I'm not sure of that.

So what can do this one this time? I'm afraid of that unit to break
another CRT. The RCA local service manager told us they had to
rebuild those CRTs to meet the parts demands since RCA is no longer
producing CRTs of any types. Took us several months waiting for blue
CRT so you can see why I'm afraid.

Cheers, Wizard
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Travis Jordan

Jason D. wrote:
Ok, it is DTV307 chassis and 60" size. Another edsel!

You said it all.

Time to retire this set. As you know RCA has problems with this design
(esp. the CRTs). Quit wasting your customer's money on it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art

Wiz: you're being polite when you call it an "Edsel"!! I would not even
compare it to such a delicate design of a horses collar badged vehicle.
After all the 352CID engines were reliable and not a total disaster to
attempt servicing.
But we know your rant regarding these things, "Over Engineered" device, too
complex for the average competent technician to want to work of them.
Season's Best!!
"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
Jason D. wrote:
Ok, it is DTV307 chassis and 60" size. Another edsel!

You said it all.

Time to retire this set. As you know RCA has problems with this design
(esp. the CRTs). Quit wasting your customer's money on it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jason D.

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:58:03 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
wrote:

Jason D. wrote:
Ok, it is DTV307 chassis and 60" size. Another edsel!

You said it all.

Time to retire this set. As you know RCA has problems with this design
(esp. the CRTs). Quit wasting your customer's money on it.

I wish that I could just say, FORGET IT and dump it. Except for few
things that is going on with this set.

I'm not sure of that reason for "retiring" this DTV307 is still under
warranty. PLUS customer have been without it for nearly 9 months now.

Really, Gonna have to fix it otherwise tell us more whys this is
happening that breaks the CRTs this way.

Oh, Happy Christmas EVE!

Cheers, Wizard
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If the customer has been without it for 9 months, then they are due a
refund.
You are in the U.S. are you not?

Seems like it is time to tell the owner that you cannot guarantee a fix
for it and Thomson/RCA has no solid fix and that they should call
customer relations to get a refund.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del

While it's unlikely they will get a cash refund, it's almost automatic
that TCE will replace the unit. We had one that had a bad red CRT
shutting down the TV (two weeks old), and really bad convergence. I
told the customer to call TCE and complain, because it wasn't worth it
for me to transport the TV to the shop, replace the tube, and sort out
the convergence for the flat rate they pay. TCE swapped the TV within
3 weeks.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jason D.

On 25 Dec 2005 08:18:18 -0800, "John-Del" wrote:

While it's unlikely they will get a cash refund, it's almost automatic
that TCE will replace the unit. We had one that had a bad red CRT
shutting down the TV (two weeks old), and really bad convergence. I
told the customer to call TCE and complain, because it wasn't worth it
for me to transport the TV to the shop, replace the tube, and sort out
the convergence for the flat rate they pay. TCE swapped the TV within
3 weeks.

John

John, Talked to Jack, my boss, I wish that is easy one to send it off
for exchange... Problem is according to Jack, RCA do not have the
similar unit to send out to replace that Edsel. So we MUST repair
this, hence the lengthy time for RCA to finally do batch of remaining
CRTs to rebuild and send some out to other shops including one to us
since RCA is on path of drying up the CRTs production by late 2006.

So any suggestions to prevent possible CRT kill when diagnosing this
unit after blue CRT is replaced?

To recap: Was working but cust complaint was for botchy spot which we
replaced blue CRT and unit won't stablize and won't let us balance the
CRT with scope without shutting down so we replace other green & red
CRTs and got it balanced, still shutting down intermittently. Then
unit finally broke the blue CRT neck off while I was getting ready
with tools to look for intermittent shutdowns.

Cheers, Wizard
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Travis Jordan

Jason D. wrote:
John, Talked to Jack, my boss, I wish that is easy one to send it off
for exchange... Problem is according to Jack, RCA do not have the
similar unit to send out to replace that Edsel. So we MUST repair
this, hence the lengthy time for RCA to finally do batch of remaining
CRTs to rebuild and send some out to other shops including one to us
since RCA is on path of drying up the CRTs production by late 2006.

I'd get a manager at Thomson / RCA to replace the set with a current
production version. They shouldn't complain about that solution. Or
simply encourage the customer to take 'em to court for failure to honor
the warranty. Any judge would throw the book at them for a NINE MONTH
delay. Your boss should do this before the customer decides to come
after his company for taking part in this farce.