Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Erich J. Schultheis

Default this can't be right...

Our office just recently acquired a black and white television. While I
think TV Sucks and the internet is better, my co workers are all
jazzed. Here's the problem, when it's not tuned to a channel, the
picutre (snow) is normal, but when you tune it in to a channel the
picture shrinks vertically. Does it mean a knob needs to be adjusted
somewhere? The outside of the set is in perfect condition, the antenna
ain't even broken. Can it be fixed if it needs to be fixed, or is it to
the firing squaud?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our office just recently acquired a black and white television. While I
think TV Sucks and the internet is better, my co workers are all
jazzed. Here's the problem, when it's not tuned to a channel, the
picutre (snow) is normal, but when you tune it in to a channel the
picture shrinks vertically. Does it mean a knob needs to be adjusted
somewhere? The outside of the set is in perfect condition, the antenna
ain't even broken. Can it be fixed if it needs to be fixed, or is it to
the firing squaud?

Bad capacitor(s) in the vertical circuit. Probably not worth paying to fix -
sometimes a knowlegeable DIY type person can fix it, armed with this general
info.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our office just recently acquired a black and white television. While I
think TV Sucks and the internet is better, my co workers are all
jazzed. Here's the problem, when it's not tuned to a channel, the
picutre (snow) is normal, but when you tune it in to a channel the
picture shrinks vertically. Does it mean a knob needs to be adjusted
somewhere? The outside of the set is in perfect condition, the antenna
ain't even broken. Can it be fixed if it needs to be fixed, or is it to
the firing squaud?

So what country would this be in ... ??

I can't imagine anyone in the civilized world getting " jazzed " about
having a black and white TV available to use - particularly one that didn't
work right ...

Seriously though, it's exactly right that the vertical scan shrinks when the
vertical timebase is locked. The trick is, however, that it should not
shrink to the point where it is noticable on the picture. It's probably
doing this as a result of age on various components, and it should be easy
to compensate for, by adjust ing the height ( vertical size ) control, which
it's sure to have, being an old technology item ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Erich J. Schultheis

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

It's there only until my co-piece-of-****-workers get their precious
HDTV. After that, they say, they will bash up the balck and white
television.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote in message
ups.com...

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Yep ! I guess that'll sort all its problems then ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh

Hi!

I can't imagine anyone in the civilized world getting " jazzed " about
having a black and white TV available to use - particularly one that

didn't
work right ...

Hmmm...I guess it depends upon your circumstances. I usually collect B&W TV
sets at garage sales for next to nothing and use them until they blow up.
They can be handy to have around.

I've got a little black and white RCA set that isn't too bad after a little
cleaning up. One night around this past summer, a nasty storm blew up in
town. This in turn blew down a large number of trees, including a rather
large one in my side yard. Of course the power went out...for at least that
night and possibly most of the next day or two.

So I hooked up an inverter in my truck, put the TV on the tailgate and used
it that night to watch the local news. To my amazement it didn't mind being
run from an inverter...I saw very little if any noise in the picture or
sound. Long story short quite a few people came over to see the weather that
night...

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh

Hi!

It's there only until my co-piece-of-****-workers get their precious
HDTV. After that, they say, they will bash up the balck and white
television.

Hmm...you might talk them into selling it at a garage sale, flea market,
hamfest or something similar. Or give it away to a local church or charity.
At a garage sale of some kind you might get $5 or $10 for it. Someone
without the means to buy a TV almost might really like to have *any* TV set.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
none

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 06:02:30 GMT, "William R. Walsh"
wrote:

Hi!

[...]

I did the same thing during Katrina.(New Orleans) Our power went out
around 3am the monday of the hurricane and I hauled out one of the
small 5inch portable tv's I had and ran it off one of the car
batteries I had charged up.(I'd been charging several of the car
batteries I had the day prior for emergency power.)
As a result I had tv and radio for the following two weeks when the
local utilities were out.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Erich J. Schultheis, The Man with the 15 inch Cock

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

It's there only until my co-piece-of-****-workers get their precious
HDTV. After that, they say, they will bash up the balck and white
television.

Hmm...you might talk them into selling it at a garage sale, flea market,
hamfest or something similar. Or give it away to a local church or charity.
At a garage sale of some kind you might get $5 or $10 for it. Someone
without the means to buy a TV almost might really like to have *any* TV set.

William

Oh, sure I forgot, I can *try* to talk them into it but these
mother****ers are so self centered that they would rather tie the cord
to a back of a car for about five minutes of laughs or hit it with
Louisville Sluggor than give it to somebody without the means to buy a
TV.