Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default this can't be right...

"Erich J. Schultheis" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our office just recently acquired a black and white television. While I
think TV Sucks and the internet is better, my co workers are all
jazzed. Here's the problem, when it's not tuned to a channel, the
picutre (snow) is normal, but when you tune it in to a channel the
picture shrinks vertically. Does it mean a knob needs to be adjusted
somewhere? The outside of the set is in perfect condition, the antenna
ain't even broken. Can it be fixed if it needs to be fixed, or is it to
the firing squaud?

So what country would this be in ... ??

I can't imagine anyone in the civilized world getting " jazzed " about
having a black and white TV available to use - particularly one that didn't
work right ...

Seriously though, it's exactly right that the vertical scan shrinks when the
vertical timebase is locked. The trick is, however, that it should not
shrink to the point where it is noticable on the picture. It's probably
doing this as a result of age on various components, and it should be easy
to compensate for, by adjust ing the height ( vertical size ) control, which
it's sure to have, being an old technology item ...

Arfa