Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Golf

Default Sony model #KV32TS35 no picture

When first plugged in this set had a perfect picture, but static in the
sound. Then, the picture went out, but still have bad sound. I turned
up the screen voltage and only had a horizontal line. High voltage was
present. I opend the tuner to look for suspect solder joints, but
looked OK. I unplugged the Horizontal yoke (I think horizontal - top
and bottom coil on CRT), then plugged it back in, then the set shut
down. I was hoping someone here has seen this problem with this
particular model, and maybe has the schematic. Thanks all.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You have multiple issues to repair and most are pretty straightforward
for any technician.
1. Failure in the vertical deflection circuit, could be solder
connection or failed vertical output due to weak capacitors, plus you
will no doubt have at least one open fusible resistor.
2. Bad MTS monolithic stereo decode module, on the IF board, SBX1637 or
similar.
3. Probably bad solder connections inside the tuner and if module,
check and repair now since you will be in the tv set.

As you unplugged the yoke on a Sony, you may have damaged other
components that repair will need completed after fixing the stuff that
was causing the first problems.

Pretty much no need for a service manual for basic faults like you
described initially, might need one now though due to additional
damage. Probably will need the service manual and adjustment manual
(two manuals from Sony) in order to readjust the screen drive voltage
correctly unless you marked exactly where it was and made note of the
exact G2 voltage before you moved it. Never adjust the G2 voltage on
any tv set that has an AKB circuit without making sure you can put it
back exactly where it was before you moved it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Golf

Thanks for the info. I will re-check the tuner, and try to determine if
the vertical IC bit the dust and check the caps. Not sure of IF board
location, but I should be able to locate it. The power problem is
puzzling though, since every time the set is cycled on, there is an
initial high voltage pulse, then nothing. Don't know if a protection
circuit is shutting it down or what. No voltage on secondary of B+
transformer. I will post findings as I get them. Thanks again.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Golf

I found a high voltage diode off pin #1 of flyback shorted. I have to
order this, which I assume will bring high voltage back. Until then, I
don't know what else to check in the vertical section since I don't
have a schematic, and no power. I will order the audio IC you mentioned
as well. Again, I'll keep posting on progress. Thanks again.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jumpster Jiver

Golf wrote:

When first plugged in this set had a perfect picture, but static in the
sound. Then, the picture went out, but still have bad sound. I turned
up the screen voltage and only had a horizontal line. High voltage was
present. I opend the tuner to look for suspect solder joints, but
looked OK. I unplugged the Horizontal yoke (I think horizontal - top
and bottom coil on CRT), then plugged it back in, then the set shut
down. I was hoping someone here has seen this problem with this
particular model, and maybe has the schematic. Thanks all.

Sounds like you started with a few problems including no vertical. You
unplugged a yoke - don't know which - and believe someone here can give
advice that will help? (Isn't there only one yoke plug in this model?)

My advice is close up the TV and have a technician come look at it. Or
put it on the curb. Or use it as a doorstop. But whatever you do,
don't put your hands inside it again.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Golf

Thanks for the advice, but I will continue working on this until it is
fixed, with or without the help of this group. I have posted several
times that I am fairly new to repair, and have no previous training.
Only good working knowledge of basic and some advanced electronics. As
far as the yoke plug, there is one for each coil, unless I am
mis-identifying the yoke coils. Again, I will post results as I find
them. Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Shoreline Electronics

For your static audio issues , replace the small hybrid IC mounted to the
standup PC board next to the tuner. SBX1637

For you vertical problem , check C542 560mfd and/or resolder the pins on the
vertical output & the yoke plug.

Also , on that same standup module that the SBX1637 IC is on , resolder all
the pins on the "Jungle IC" that is under that metal shield

--
==========================
Jeff Stielau

========================

"Golf" wrote in message
oups.com...
When first plugged in this set had a perfect picture, but static in the
sound. Then, the picture went out, but still have bad sound. I turned
up the screen voltage and only had a horizontal line. High voltage was
present. I opend the tuner to look for suspect solder joints, but
looked OK. I unplugged the Horizontal yoke (I think horizontal - top
and bottom coil on CRT), then plugged it back in, then the set shut
down. I was hoping someone here has seen this problem with this
particular model, and maybe has the schematic. Thanks all.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Golf

Thanks for the reply. You have given me very sound advice in the past. I have ordered the sound module which was obviously in bad shape. I haven't had time to do a thorough check of caps/resistors around the vertical IC and such, but will start with your advice. I will post results when I get them. Thanks again for the help. A beginner here who loves electronics.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Golf

Thanks Kip, you have helped me also in past posts.