Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Default YPrPb -- VGA

I have a LCD projector that has VGA inputs and a DVD player that has YPrPb
output. I was wondering if it were possible to wire the YPrPb directly to
the VGA port. This probably depends on if the projector supports the non
standard input or not, but I would like to know which pins I would need to
connect the component video to.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Default Component Vidoe to VGA Monitor

I tried hooking the Component video from my dvd player into a VGA cable and
I get a picture in 480p mode but it is Green.
There are no other colors present, just green..

Any ideas??

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
I have a LCD projector that has VGA inputs and a DVD player that has YPrPb
output. I was wondering if it were possible to wire the YPrPb directly to
the VGA port. This probably depends on if the projector supports the non
standard input or not, but I would like to know which pins I would need to
connect the component video to.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't believe so. VGA is RGB and YPrPb is luminance, R-Y and B-Y.
There is another hi-def standard that is slightly different. It might
be called YCrBr. I don't know the exact difference in the signals but
when I see a Y at the front I suspect it's also monochrome plus
difference format.

I could build a matrixing circuit to convert it to true RGB, but I
can't do anything about the scan frequencies. Standard progressive scan
from a DVD should be 31.5 Khz by 59.97 Hz. That would produce a raster
with 480 usable lines scanned progressively.

If it has an internal scan converter that can handle this timing, the
other issue might be the native resolution of the projector. If it's
not a multiple of 480 you might have artifacts. Best would be 960, 1440
or 1920 pixels vertical resolution.

If it allows for manual scaling you might get it to look good with
other resolutions by not using the entire "screen".

With all this, it's probably not worth persuing.

Gotta go.

JURB

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

I did get my dvd player to work with my VGA monitor (viewsonic pf790) in
480p mode but not 480i. There is one major problem though, the only color
channel working is green. I'm pretty sure I have everything wired correctly,
but there is no color but green.. With the exception of the screen on a
movie preview that is solid blue with green letters that actually should be
white.

I've read this is possible with an xbox at
http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_VGA_HOWTO

I'm also interested in making my xbox work with my monitor if possible.. I
havn't tried this yet though. I was wanting to get it working with my dvd
player first if possible.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
I have a LCD projector that has VGA inputs and a DVD player that has YPrPb
output. I was wondering if it were possible to wire the YPrPb directly to
the VGA port. This probably depends on if the projector supports the non
standard input or not, but I would like to know which pins I would need to
connect the component video to.

Can't be done directly, component video and RGB are completely different
formats. You might get a synced image, but you'll never get all the colours
working.

The difference is explained he

http://www.projectorcentral.com/component.htm

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
I have a LCD projector that has VGA inputs and a DVD player that has
YPrPb output. I was wondering if it were possible to wire the YPrPb
directly to the VGA port. This probably depends on if the projector
supports the non standard input or not, but I would like to know which
pins I would need to connect the component video to.

Can't be done directly, component video and RGB are completely different
formats. You might get a synced image, but you'll never get all the
colours working.

The difference is explained he

http://www.projectorcentral.com/component.htm

Dave

Oops, just realised we're discussing a projector, not a VGA monitor. The
above advice still stands *unless* your projector specifically supports
component video via its 15 pin DSUB connector, as some do. If it does, the
best thing to do might be to just buy the proper lead.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

I found this... Is there a cheaper way of doing this
http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?optio...d=36&Itemid=68

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Dave D" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 18:08:22 -0500, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

I have a LCD projector that has VGA inputs and a DVD player that has YPrPb
output. I was wondering if it were possible to wire the YPrPb directly to
the VGA port. This probably depends on if the projector supports the non
standard input or not, but I would like to know which pins I would need to
connect the component video to.

You can buy converters for this for around $100-$200. Your DVD player
needs to output progressive scan for it to work with a VGA input. I
use one made by a company called Audio Authority for my video
projector. A few DVD players will output RGB, but these are very
rare. Every DVD player is capable of RGB, but the feature is almost
never enabled.

As others have said, it's a simple task in theory, but building
something that would work well is not a trivial task.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Can't be done directly, component video and RGB are completely different
formats. You might get a synced image, but you'll never get all the colours
working.

The difference is explained he

http://www.projectorcentral.com/component.htm

Dave

It can be converted though for sure, a TV has to be able to decode it to
RGB afterall, I suspect there's a single chip solution to do most of the
work.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Andy Cuffe" wrote in message

A few DVD players will output RGB, but these are very
rare.

That depends where one lives. In some parts of the world, notably here in
Europe, DVD players without RGB are exceptionally rare.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Do you mean RGB as in VGA or YPrPb where it has 3 phono jacks. I need VGA
signal, it is not the exact same thing as RGB.

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Andy Cuffe" wrote in message

A few DVD players will output RGB, but these are very
rare.

That depends where one lives. In some parts of the world, notably here in
Europe, DVD players without RGB are exceptionally rare.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..
Do you mean RGB as in VGA or YPrPb where it has 3 phono jacks. I need VGA
signal, it is not the exact same thing as RGB.

RGB as in TV standard RGB, not VGA.

Have you checked the spec of your projector to see if it supports component
video? Some do.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Martin D. Bartsch

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 21:26:23 -0500, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

There is one major problem though, the only color
channel working is green.

That is because of RGB to YYrYb or in your case YrYYb. So when you
connect the G with Y you will have a green picture with the values of
the luminance channel (if you had a white phosphor instead of the
green one in your tube you would have a nice b/w picture) but the R
and the B channels will not work with the other components.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Martin D. Bartsch

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:27:29 -0500, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

Do you mean RGB as in VGA or YPrPb where it has 3 phono jacks. I need VGA
signal, it is not the exact same thing as RGB.

VGA is RGB but the RGB frequency is too low for VGA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

wrote:

Do you mean RGB as in VGA or YPrPb where it has 3 phono jacks. I need VGA
signal, it is not the exact same thing as RGB.

VGA is RGB. YPrPb is component video and totally different from RGB
despite the color of the connectors. If you have a player that
outputs RGB, you just need the right cable to connect it to a VGA
device (assuming it's outputting 480p or higher). Most devices with a
VGA connector won't sync to 480i.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:08:03 -0500, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

I found this... Is there a cheaper way of doing this
http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?optio...d=36&Itemid=68

That's actually a very good price. I paid almost twice that for a
second hand box on ebay a couple of years ago. You can pay more than
that for some video cables these days.

Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

You should check the options on your projector. Some are switchable to use
either. If not you need a transcoder which can be found for about $100.

VGA is discrete RGB, while component uses difference signals.

Leonard

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
I have a LCD projector that has VGA inputs and a DVD player that has YPrPb
output. I was wondering if it were possible to wire the YPrPb directly to
the VGA port. This probably depends on if the projector supports the non
standard input or not, but I would like to know which pins I would need to
connect the component video to.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

As I explained, you need a circuit to "dematrix" the color difference
signals.

JURB

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

wrote:
As I explained, you need a circuit to "dematrix" the color difference
signals.

JURB

Something like this perhaps?
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_101537/article.html

Looks simple enough, mostly just a handfull of op-amps and some passives.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
I have a LCD projector that has VGA inputs and a DVD player that has YPrPb
output. I was wondering if it were possible to wire the YPrPb directly to
the VGA port. This probably depends on if the projector supports the non
standard input or not, but I would like to know which pins I would need to
connect the component video to.

Good overview of the formats:

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/learn..._vs_yprpb.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ORLANDO VERA

Ray try looking for a chip that accepts The formats you want as input and
the format you want as output.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

"ORLANDO VERA" wrote in message
Ray try looking for a chip that accepts The formats you want as input and
the format you want as output.

Thanks, but I think u missed the earlier part of this thread, as I'm not the
person who desires the conversion. The link I posted was to provide the OP
with additional clarification on the specific differences between the two...