Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Miguel Gimenez

Default AIWA CD player early failure

I own an AIWA CD player (TZ92), 13 years old. In this time I have used
it about 50 hours (it was in my summer house), and I've changed the
laser two times, the first 6 years ago and the second this week. I don't
want to throw it, as it is part of a chain.

My questions a

- The life of the laser is related to working hours or installed hours?
- This short life, is normal?
- Is there any method for lengthening the life?

--
Regards
Miguel Giménez
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark

is it just dirty?

I fix most CD players simply by carefully cleaning the lense on the
laser with a Q tip and alcohol....

checkout the Sam Goldwasser sites....

Mark

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Miguel Gimenez

Mark wrote:
is it just dirty?

I fix most CD players simply by carefully cleaning the lense on the
laser with a Q tip and alcohol....

checkout the Sam Goldwasser sites....

Mark

The first time I did clean it, but without success. This second time I
opened it, the lens looked clean, but didn't clean it. I sent it to Aiwa
and they told me that it wasn't dirty, but faulty (may be they lied me).

Thank you for pointing me to Goldwasser's.

--
Regards
Miguel Giménez
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jumpster Jiver

Miguel Gimenez wrote:

Mark wrote:

is it just dirty?

I fix most CD players simply by carefully cleaning the lense on the
laser with a Q tip and alcohol....

checkout the Sam Goldwasser sites....

Mark

The first time I did clean it, but without success. This second time I
opened it, the lens looked clean, but didn't clean it. I sent it to Aiwa
and they told me that it wasn't dirty, but faulty (may be they lied me).

Thank you for pointing me to Goldwasser's.

Also, some AIWAs develop bad ribbon cables. Gently move and flex the
cable to the laser a few times then try it again. If it works, replace
the cable.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

"Miguel Gimenez" wrote in message
I own an AIWA CD player (TZ92), 13 years old. In this time I have used it
about 50 hours (it was in my summer house), and I've changed the laser two
times, the first 6 years ago and the second this week. I don't want to
throw it, as it is part of a chain.

My questions a

- The life of the laser is related to working hours or installed hours? -
This short life, is normal?
- Is there any method for lengthening the life?

These lasers are a type of diode. It doesn't wear when it isn't in use, and
it doesn't simply go bad sitting on the shelf as can happen with
electrolytic capacitors.

Lifespans vary with makes/models. It's potluck, as some higher-priced
models are found to have shorter laser lifespans (on average) than some
cheaper models.

There is no technique for increasing a laser's lifespan. If you were to
reduce the diode's working current, it wouldn't track the disc properly.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK)

Miguel Gimenez wrote:
Mark wrote:

is it just dirty?

I fix most CD players simply by carefully cleaning the lense on the
laser with a Q tip and alcohol....

checkout the Sam Goldwasser sites....

Mark

The first time I did clean it, but without success. This second time I
opened it, the lens looked clean, but didn't clean it. I sent it to Aiwa
and they told me that it wasn't dirty, but faulty (may be they lied me).

Thank you for pointing me to Goldwasser's.

Often it`s the 45 degree mirror that`s dusty or tarnished, dificult,
often impossible to clean effectively.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio