Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Default Improving Cable signal on PC Tv tuner card

I have an ati tv wonder card and want to improve the signal. I have a so so
picture on all channels. There is no snow but the picture is not clear
either. This is a problem I experience with some tv's also. Are there any
suitable cable tv amps that would help? I have a cable modem also so I can't
use a normal catv amp. Do you think my catv provider (comcast) would provide
an amp free of charge? (yea right)

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Stan

"Michael Kennedy" wrote:

}I have an ati tv wonder card and want to improve the signal. I have a so so
}picture on all channels. There is no snow but the picture is not clear
}either. This is a problem I experience with some tv's also.

Perhaps the cable company installed an incorrect tap that feeds your drop
signal. See if they will measure the signal at your wall outlet and
verify that it's within standards.

Stan.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JoeNezz

generally cable is a hurtin signal quality anyway & can be even worse
if you split it your self & they are only giving U enough signal for
the amout of outlets that you are paying for .

I got fed up & bought an "ariza 700 free to air satellite receiver & 2
dishes the system cost me about $350.00 C & I figure its paid for its
self already. I get over 400 channels including all movie & PPV for
free.
if I want more channels I can add 2 more dishes or buy one big multi
feed dish..
Dishnet goes down about once every 2 months & Bell goes down about
once a week but they are working on auto roll programs to get the new
keys automatically.

Currently when they go down you simply go on line & get the new key &
punch it into the receiver.new keys for dishnet are released about 2
hours after a keychange,Bell can take a day or two.
I keep basic cable for internet & local channels
& use the ati capture card to record movies from sat & burn them to DVD

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
NRen2k5

Michael Kennedy wrote:
I have an ati tv wonder card and want to improve the signal. I have a so so
picture on all channels. There is no snow but the picture is not clear
either. This is a problem I experience with some tv's also. Are there any
suitable cable tv amps that would help? I have a cable modem also so I can't
use a normal catv amp. Do you think my catv provider (comcast) would provide
an amp free of charge? (yea right)

- Mike

Which version of the ATI TV Wonder is it?

I know for a fact that if it's an earlier model, the problem is low
digital resolution, period. It would be something like 320×240. Proper
TV resolution - converted to digital - would be about 640×480. Of course
no amp will help this.

As for an ordinary TV having low picture quality but no snow or other
disturbances... I would have to chalk that up as a bas tube. Again
something that an amp won't remedy.

- NRen2k5
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charles Schuler

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..
I have an ati tv wonder card and want to improve the signal. I have a so so
picture on all channels. There is no snow but the picture is not clear
either. This is a problem I experience with some tv's also. Are there any
suitable cable tv amps that would help? I have a cable modem also so I
can't use a normal catv amp. Do you think my catv provider (comcast) would
provide an amp free of charge? (yea right)

No, but a good one that you can buy is the Motorola Signal Booster Broad
Band Drop Amp ... picked mine up at Circuit City.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Marc Popek

mic,

your description suggests that the cable lead in wire is leaking the good
cable wit the radiated crapo outside so try better cable..
then if no better,

add the amplifier of your choice in front of all splutters,, gain up front
is way better than gain in the back end

Marco