Posted to sci.electronics.repair
NN

Default LCD buying overload, can one point be good enough to forget the rest

I want to buy a LCD monitor for non-game usage. I have a hdtv card and
watch dvd,s and do graphics but no color calibration or print stuff.
19'' inches is fine but the market is flooded with them even in the
lower prices. The specs are either not complete or not standardized or
to much. Either way I don,t understand half of the stuff and the other
half could be the stuff that might matter. I am not able to decide and
that means no LCD. But I think LCD fall into the rare category of " If
it looks good, get it". I will be using it for something to "look at"
only. So If find one at a retail store that has a picture I like, base
on that alone (and a reasonable warranty that I can look at it for at
least a year) I can decide what LCD to buy and skip all the specs about
resolution and dead pixels................ and so on? Or I have
simplified things to much and will feel (or be) like a idiot later.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Kos

I don't own an LCD yet. But I think your approach is EXACTLY what I will do
once I decide to go for one. I have seen excellent looking no-name units.
And I have seen ho-hum Sonys. As such, I believe very strongly in taking
all candidates for a road test.

This is a purchase I would make locally in case there are problems that need
to be dealt with right away.

"NN" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT

NN wrote:

[...]

I think the key specs are size, resolution, contrast ratio, brightness,
speed, and price, not necessarily in that order. The current battles
seem to be waged based on speed. That might be a factor in watching
DVDs; the slow-moving or static displays at the store won't give you
much idea of how much ghosting you'll get because the display is slow.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 26 Nov 2005 20:47:06 -0800, "NN" wrote:

[...]

Put it this way...

If you see several LCD monitors with a good image, buy the one with the longest warranty.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

"NN" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

LCD screens can't be beat for text work (in their native resolutions), as
there are no focus or convergence issues. They have other, serious
drawbacks, though, such as scaling.

This page may help shed some light on the advantages and disadvantages of
LCD:

http://techreport.com/reviews/2002q4/lcds/index.x?pg=1

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
NN

I don,t trust the printed speed spec,s and it is the most difficult
spec to verify physically at a retail outlet where LCD,s are demoed
(The spec requires moving images and time to observe). Price is an
interesting point that has some unexpected influence for me. As the
price of LCD,s drop, people buy them and I know some of those people
are replacing CRT monitors. That has made CRT,s available in the used
market that are no longer at their end of life cycle. During the last
year I have picked up 3 CRT,s for 10 dollars each (size 21"
(20"viewable)) at the thrift shop. So the price of CRT,s 21" are
almost free. I have seen the top shelf computer stuff show up in
thrift shops 10 years from first appearance. I always get my computer
wishes, but never on time. I must admit if I had to much money, I
would not be worried about buying a LCD. I would have bought a few
long ago.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
NN

If LCD,s are anything like my laptop for text (14"lcd), Then that is a
major good point. I have not seen a CRT where my eye,s don,t have to
feel different if I try to study a detail. I use +1 reading glasses
for extra comfort if I have them around. But not really needed all
the time. LCD,s are like reading with the weak glasses while CRT.s
are without. It makes a difference on days that my eyes are not rested
or slightly off for other minor reasons that come with living.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jumpster Jiver

NN wrote:

[...]

Exactly. Go to a store and see the differennt models and what they look
like.

But look at it showing what you will be watching. If it is displayed
showing a high resolution image it may look better in the store than it
will at home.

For example: If you're going to be watching a DVD player connected
through an S-Video input, then have them connect it that way at the
store to see what it will look like.

If you're going to be using it for certain types of text or graphics
computer programs, look at it in the store running similar programs.

Don't base your decision on how good the pretty aquarium screensaver
looks on the store shelf.

Then like the others said, if you find several models you like, go with
the longest warranty.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
NN

Thanks to everyone, yours commits help me to deal with the new LCD
world.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
NN

I have to say that the dead pixal policy is pretty consistent in the
industry until you try to decides if 10 dead pixals on the edge is
better or just one pixals in the middle of the screen. How many
periods would go untyped is more likely (I had a particle on my laptop
that tried to pass for a period and I finally realized that).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
stany

The best will be to have a program, used for testing monitors that show the
monoscope etc. like NTEST.EXE in a cd.
It needs NOT to be installed and is FREE.
If the seller permit you to use it you can check by yourself the quality.
Look with google for that program or other, more specialized for lcd
testing, and familiarize with them.
Are very easy to use.

--
ciao, stany

"NN" ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT

NN wrote:

[...]

The problem with CRTs now is that you may have to pay to dispose of them
as hazardous materials.

Recommendations for beginner machinist tools, please... [email protected] Metalworking 12 January 26th 05 07:57 AM
buying advice wanted: set of brad point bits [email protected] Woodworking 5 January 5th 05 02:25 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Or not you decide. Good Gawd give it a rest Bay Area Dave Woodworking 2 May 6th 04 03:10 PM