Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

Default OT (maybe): farewell DVD

A while back, there was a busy thread about how quickly new video tech is
replacing old. Most folks didn't appreciate the suggestion that their
valued DVD collections would soon be deemed "vintage". They were quite..
ahem.. Blu about it. Check out the latest headliner:

http://www.blu-ray.com/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:51:21 GMT, "Ray L. Volts"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

A while back, there was a busy thread about how quickly new video tech is
replacing old. Most folks didn't appreciate the suggestion that their
valued DVD collections would soon be deemed "vintage". They were quite..
ahem.. Blu about it. Check out the latest headliner:

http://www.blu-ray.com/

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#2.4

2.4 Will Blu-ray be backwards compatible with DVD?

Yes, several leading consumer electronics companies (including
Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Sony and LG) have already
demonstrated products that can read/write CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs
using a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical head, so you don't have to worry
about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. Although it's up
to each manufacturer to decide if they want to make their products
backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be
supported. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) expects every Blu-ray
Disc device to be backward compatible with CDs and DVDs.

-- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Ray L. Volts wrote:
A while back, there was a busy thread about how quickly new video tech is
replacing old. Most folks didn't appreciate the suggestion that their
valued DVD collections would soon be deemed "vintage". They were quite..
ahem.. Blu about it. Check out the latest headliner:

http://www.blu-ray.com/

Making a new gen player able to play standard DVDs is trivial, the DVD
will be with us for a LONG time.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tempus fugit

Maybe not

Check this out:

http://www.maxell-usa.com/Content/Pa...&Open=datapr41

"James Sweet" wrote in message
Ray L. Volts wrote:
A while back, there was a busy thread about how quickly new video tech

is
replacing old. Most folks didn't appreciate the suggestion that their
valued DVD collections would soon be deemed "vintage". They were

quite..
ahem.. Blu about it. Check out the latest headliner:

http://www.blu-ray.com/

Making a new gen player able to play standard DVDs is trivial, the DVD
will be with us for a LONG time.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
[...]

What I had in mind was new disc sales. I know people aren't going to toss
their old DVD's. I certainly will not do that, just as I still have
hundreds of OLD video tapes (including Beta).
But... I'd rather pay $15 for a new HD disc title than $15 (or $10 or $5)
for the same title on a standard DVD. If I plunk down big money on a new
HDTV screen, I'd prefer to watch media that takes full advantage of that
screen.
Add to that the ability to store far more data per disc for pc uses. I
imagine Blu-ray blanks will soon become as inexpensive as today's DVD
blanks. More bang for the buck.
I don't see a great many more years of standard DVD pressings.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

What I had in mind was new disc sales. I know people aren't going to toss
their old DVD's. I certainly will not do that, just as I still have
hundreds of OLD video tapes (including Beta).
But... I'd rather pay $15 for a new HD disc title than $15 (or $10 or $5)
for the same title on a standard DVD. If I plunk down big money on a new
HDTV screen, I'd prefer to watch media that takes full advantage of that
screen.
Add to that the ability to store far more data per disc for pc uses. I
imagine Blu-ray blanks will soon become as inexpensive as today's DVD
blanks. More bang for the buck.
I don't see a great many more years of standard DVD pressings.

Perhaps not, but by then we'll be able to get a next gen player for $50
so it doesn't really matter. Buy the new stuff on HD discs, keep your
old stuff around on plain old DVDs, doesn't really seem like a big deal.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tempus fugit

and this:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8370

"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message

"tempus fugit" wrote in message
Making a new gen player able to play standard DVDs is trivial, the DVD

will be with us for a LONG time.

Maybe not

Check this out:

http://www.maxell-usa.com/Content/Pa...&Open=datapr41

sweet..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

So the blu disk is obsolete before it's even out en masse ? They have
truly outdone themselves.

JURB

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

In article ZOhhf.14972$ZX3.8726@trnddc06,
says...

A while back, there was a busy thread about how quickly new video tech is
replacing old. Most folks didn't appreciate the suggestion that their
valued DVD collections would soon be deemed "vintage". They were quite..
ahem.. Blu about it. Check out the latest headliner:

http://www.blu-ray.com/

Blu-ray == Sony.

Sony == DRM RootKit Nightmare.

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...s-and-digital-
rights.html

Or...

http://tinyurl.com/auyjl

What can we really expect from a format developed by a company
that has shown not the slightest remorse for infecting God only knows
how many PCs with security holes that you could drive a cruise ship
through?

Yes, I know... We consumers may not have any choice, other than to
boycott Blu-Ray format discs. However, given that at least one studio
(Fox) has already committed to Blu-Ray, I don't see that happening any
time soon.

Keep the peace(es).

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"