Posted to alt.tv.tech.misc,alt.tv.tech.plain-tv,sci.electronics.repair
Matthew Long

Default Hitachi C46TN no picture, Just 2 white dashes centre left screen

My very reliable 28 inch Nicam Hitachi TV suddenly gave up last Thursday,
after 13 years without a problem. Well, it had one problem very common with
this model - C46TN permanently displayed. (This is how I know the model
number!) but after looking at Google, managed to press the right buttons to
remove it!

So, apart from that, it's been fine! Now when you switch it on, you get
sound, but no pictures. The screen stays black, apart from two white dashes
in the centre left of the screen for a few seconds. I think this is the
channel number being displayed (Although of course you can't read it!

If you press the Menu button, you used to get four coloured menu options.
Now when you press menu, you get four coloured horizontal lines across the
centre of the screen. It looks like the coloured menu logos have been
squashed into a single line.

I've since bought a new TV, but before I throw my old telly out, is it
possibly worth fixing? Anyone know what might possibly be wrong from the
symptoms I've described? Is it the tube? Dry solder joint?

The TV is in perfect condition, with not a single mark on it. It just seems
a shame to chuck it, although I realise that it's probably not worth
anything to anyone now.

Cheers,

Matthew Long

Posted to alt.tv.tech.misc,alt.tv.tech.plain-tv,sci.electronics.repair
Jumpster Jiver

Matthew Long wrote:

[...]

If the picture tube was ood before this problem occured - that is you
like the picture quality - then it is very much worth repair.
Sounds like you lost vertical deflection. Could be dry/cracked solder
joints, a few bad capacitors, a bad vertical output IC, a bad resistor
or diode, or some combination of these.

If you have a competent technician repair it, it should not be too
expensive.
If you are capable of this type of repair yourself, troubleshoot the
vertical section, and you should be watching TV really soon!
Good Luck.
Posted to alt.tv.tech.misc,alt.tv.tech.plain-tv,sci.electronics.repair
Matthew Long

" If the picture tube was ood before this problem occured - that is you
like the picture quality - then it is very much worth repair.
Sounds like you lost vertical deflection. Could be dry/cracked solder
joints, a few bad capacitors, a bad vertical output IC, a bad resistor or
diode, or some combination of these.

If you have a competent technician repair it, it should not be too
expensive.
If you are capable of this type of repair yourself, troubleshoot the
vertical section, and you should be watching TV really soon!
Good Luck.

Hiya, thanks for your reply. I only have limited knowledge, and no equipment
to test it. I don't really know any decent technicians in our area. None
that I'd trust anyway! I know most would charge a fee just to look at it! I
have to be realistic, and think that I'd only get £50 - £60 if it was
working. It does seem a shame, but I think it might be going to the dump! My
new TV turns up tomorrow, so I need to make some space!

Matthew Long

Posted to alt.tv.tech.misc,alt.tv.tech.plain-tv,sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Hiya, thanks for your reply. I only have limited knowledge, and no equipment
to test it. I don't really know any decent technicians in our area. None
that I'd trust anyway! I know most would charge a fee just to look at it! I
have to be realistic, and think that I'd only get £50 - £60 if it was
working. It does seem a shame, but I think it might be going to the dump! My
new TV turns up tomorrow, so I need to make some space!

Matthew Long

See if anyone will take it for free to fix it and use it themself. If
you have no test equipment there's really no hope of fixing it, there's
got to be a decent tech in the area, sure they'll charge to look at it
but they'll fix it too.