SeventhPrince七少爷

Default PSU tickling sound

Hi,

PSU has tickling sound problem. I read that changing the regulator IC
will solve the problem. So I change the KA3842B Controller IC with
UC3842B IC (On Semiconductor). Tickling sound disappears but PSU could
not power on the Point of Sales terminal; just managed to flicker on
the terminal display only.

Should I use only the original KA3842B Controller IC?

Thanks for your advise.

Seventh Prince

Jim Yanik

"?B?U2V2ZW50aFByaW5jZeS4g+WwkeeItw==?=" wrote
in ups.com:

Hi,

PSU has tickling sound problem. I read that changing the regulator IC
will solve the problem. So I change the KA3842B Controller IC with
UC3842B IC (On Semiconductor). Tickling sound disappears but PSU could
not power on the Point of Sales terminal; just managed to flicker on
the terminal display only.

Should I use only the original KA3842B Controller IC?

Thanks for your advise.

Seventh Prince

It's probably bad electrolytic caps,where their ESR increased,a very common
failure of switcher power supplies.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Sam Goldwasser

Jim Yanik writes:

"?B?U2V2ZW50aFByaW5jZeS4g+WwkeeItw==?=" wrote
in ups.com:

Hi,

PSU has tickling sound problem. I read that changing the regulator IC
will solve the problem. So I change the KA3842B Controller IC with
UC3842B IC (On Semiconductor). Tickling sound disappears but PSU could
not power on the Point of Sales terminal; just managed to flicker on
the terminal display only.

Should I use only the original KA3842B Controller IC?

Thanks for your advise.

Seventh Prince

It's probably bad electrolytic caps,where their ESR increased,a very common
failure of switcher power supplies.

See the SMPS repair guide at the sites below.

七少爷Seventh Prince

It's probably bad electrolytic caps,where their ESR increased,a very common
failure of switcher power supplies.

Sam, How do I recognise which caps are bad? Thanks
Jim Yanik

?B?5LiD5bCR54i3U2V2ZW50aCBQcmluY2U=?=
wrote in :

It's probably bad electrolytic caps,where their ESR increased,a very
common failure of switcher power supplies.

Sam, How do I recognise which caps are bad? Thanks

If you don't have an ESR meter like the Dick Smith Electronics meter(very
affordable,very good),then you're best bet is to replace all the
electrolytics.

Also look for discolored,swollen,or bulging electrolytic caps;indications
they are dissipating excessive heat.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik