Jim Devereux

Default Buzzing Sound From Central Air Unit - No Movement

When I turn on my central air/heat, I get a buzzing sound from the furnace
unit. The outside AC unit and the gas heater seem to be working but the
blower fan (below the inside furnace unit) will not move.

I removed the blower from the furnace unit and the blades spin very freely,
no sound whatsoever. If I set the thermostat to "fan only" I still get a
fairly loud electrical buzzing sound, like something is trying to come on,
this is even with the blower physically removed from the unit.

I've done some looking on Google and seen other accounts similar to mine
where the capacitor that serves the blower is bad. I'm not sure if I have
that stated correctly, but any suggestions on how to proceed would be
appreciated.

Jim Devereux

"Red Neckerson" wrote in message
It's the transformer. Most have screws on them that can be
tightened/loosened to get the noise to stop. If it continues, you may want
to reoplce it. It probably isn't going bad, just annoying as hell.....
"Jim Devereux" wrote in message
When I turn on my central air/heat, I get a buzzing sound from the

furnace
unit. The outside AC unit and the gas heater seem to be working but the
blower fan (below the inside furnace unit) will not move.

I removed the blower from the furnace unit and the blades spin very
freely,
no sound whatsoever. If I set the thermostat to "fan only" I still get

fairly loud electrical buzzing sound, like something is trying to come

on,
this is even with the blower physically removed from the unit.

I've done some looking on Google and seen other accounts similar to mine
where the capacitor that serves the blower is bad. I'm not sure if I

have
that stated correctly, but any suggestions on how to proceed would be
appreciated.

Ok but it's not just noise, the blower will not move.

Art Todesco

If the buzzing is coming from the blower (I assume that's what your are
implying) then it's not a transformer and it is probably, as you
hypothesized, the motor starting capacitor. It is located on or in the
motor. It could also be a bad motor.

Jim Devereux wrote:
"Red Neckerson" wrote in message

It's the transformer. Most have screws on them that can be
tightened/loosened to get the noise to stop. If it continues, you may want
to reoplce it. It probably isn't going bad, just annoying as hell.....
"Jim Devereux" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Jim Devereux

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
If the buzzing is coming from the blower (I assume that's what your are
implying) then it's not a transformer and it is probably, as you
hypothesized, the motor starting capacitor. It is located on or in the
motor. It could also be a bad motor.

No, the buzzing is not coming from the blower. That was my first thought
but I hear it even when the blower is disconnected.

I don't mean to say that the buzzing sound is abnormal -- I heard it even
when everything worked. It's just the normal sound of my central air
kicking on. Only now the blower does not turn.

So...

I'm assuming I have to check the blower motor to see if it's dead, and also
check the capacitor.

Art Todesco

Check to see if power is coming to the blower leads. If it is a
multi-speed blower you have to check the leads for the speed which is
wired in. If power is present, it's a pretty good shot that there is a
problem in the blower.

Jim Devereux wrote:
Jim Devereux wrote:

[...]

Jim Devereux

Jim Devereux wrote:
Jim Devereux wrote:

[...]

I checked the power leads that serve the blower motor and they do have
power. I checked the 3 wires on the motor itself for continuity with the
RX1 Ohm setting on the multimeter and got these results:

about 5 ohms between red and blue

infinity between white and red

infinity between white and blue

I'm not sure if these results mean that the motor is bad or not. I still
can't find a capacitor anywhere, maybe this motor doesn't have one. I'm
assuming it will look like a small tin can with three connectors on top.

The unit is a 'Trane' and was new in 1982. The motor is very diry with that
spongy brown dust stuck into about every nook and cranny. I don't know how
long these motors last, is 22 years the life span?

HeatMan

Jim Devereux wrote:
Jim Devereux wrote:

[...]

I think that furnace has gotten everything out of that blower it could. In
other words, the motor is probably shot.

Replace the motor, but look at the condition of the furnace. Twenty-two
years is near the end of the life expectancy of that furnace.