Default DVD player problem

I am looking at a Panasonic DVD player #SA-HT75. Insert disk, dispays
reading, then after a few seconds displays no disk. Tried different
disks with same results. Tried cleaning the laser, but no change. I
checked the voltage on the motor that drives the disk and no problem
here. I did this because I noticed when the disk is inserted, it
doesn't turn. The laser module slides back and forth like it's supposed
to. Shouldn't the disk spin when inserted to be read? is the best
course of action, replace this as a module if available, or the motor
if this is the fault. Thanks all.

Arfa Daily

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking at a Panasonic DVD player #SA-HT75. Insert disk, dispays
reading, then after a few seconds displays no disk. Tried different
disks with same results. Tried cleaning the laser, but no change. I
checked the voltage on the motor that drives the disk and no problem
here. I did this because I noticed when the disk is inserted, it
doesn't turn. The laser module slides back and forth like it's supposed
to. Shouldn't the disk spin when inserted to be read? is the best
course of action, replace this as a module if available, or the motor
if this is the fault. Thanks all.

It is very common for the spindle motor to cause problems on these players.
You are correct in that the disc should spin up at the time it starts to try
to read it. Usually, if you use a finger to spin up the disc ( clockwise
from the top ), it will carry on and read the disc successfully.

Replacing this motor is not as easy as you may think, if you have no
experience of doing it. It comes as part of the subdeck, with the turntable
already fitted, as the height of this is critical. However, you also have to
swap over several gears, the laser, and the laser slide bars. When this is
done, and the deck is reinstalled, the laser then has to be adjusted for
tilt. This is accomplished by invoking the built in software jitter meter,
and adjusting the three allen screws under the slide bars, for minimum
jitter factor.

Unless you are experienced in this sort of work, I really wouldn't recommend
that you try, to be honest, as you may finish up causing yourself even more
trouble. Take it to a dealer, who will be well versed in the procedures
involved, and should be able to give you an over-the-counter quote for the
work.

Arfa

Thankyou very much for the info. This is exactly the kind of response I
like to get when I post a question. Very informative. Now I propose
another question.... my buddy may scrap the thing if it costs too much
for repair. I'm fairly new at repair, but am charging friends
replacement and shipping costs for repair only (no labor). I do this
for the learning experience. If I ever total srew up a peice of
equipment, I am willing to pay for it. I figure this would be the cost
of my training. So.........I do see how to dis-assemble the sub deck
(already have the drive assembly removed), but I was unaware of built
in anti jitter software. I will research for a replacement motor, but
would you have any more info on how to access the jitter software and
it's use? Thankyou again.

Leonard Caillouet

May I suggest that you list the model in the subject line. I hve not
followed the thread and just picked it up. Nowhere in the post below does
it mention what unit you need a manual for. Now if I see a post like this
and can help, I am likely to. If I have to go digging through old posts to
find the model, not a chance.

Leonard

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thankyou very much for the info. This is exactly the kind of response I
like to get when I post a question. Very informative. Now I propose
another question.... my buddy may scrap the thing if it costs too much
for repair. I'm fairly new at repair, but am charging friends
replacement and shipping costs for repair only (no labor). I do this
for the learning experience. If I ever total srew up a peice of
equipment, I am willing to pay for it. I figure this would be the cost
of my training. So.........I do see how to dis-assemble the sub deck
(already have the drive assembly removed), but I was unaware of built
in anti jitter software. I will research for a replacement motor, but
would you have any more info on how to access the jitter software and
it's use? Thankyou again.

Leonard:
Here is the #1 posting by "stok".... you will find the Make and Model
in his very first sentence.
..... your reply post was #4.
electyricitym

"From: -
I am looking at a Panasonic DVD player #SA-HT75. Insert disk, dispays
reading, then after a few seconds displays no disk. Tried different
disks with same results. Tried cleaning the laser, but no change. I
checked the voltage on the motor that drives the disk and no problem
here. I did this because I noticed when the disk is inserted, it
doesn't turn. The laser module slides back and forth like it's supposed

to. Shouldn't the disk spin when inserted to be read? is the best
course of action, replace this as a module if available, or the motor
if this is the fault. Thanks all."
..
..
..

lLeonard, I appreciate the reply and advice, but I am not requesting a
manual for this DVD player.

Arfa Daily

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thankyou very much for the info. This is exactly the kind of response I
like to get when I post a question. Very informative. Now I propose
another question.... my buddy may scrap the thing if it costs too much
for repair. I'm fairly new at repair, but am charging friends
replacement and shipping costs for repair only (no labor). I do this
for the learning experience. If I ever total srew up a peice of
equipment, I am willing to pay for it. I figure this would be the cost
of my training. So.........I do see how to dis-assemble the sub deck
(already have the drive assembly removed), but I was unaware of built
in anti jitter software. I will research for a replacement motor, but
would you have any more info on how to access the jitter software and
it's use? Thankyou again.

As I recall, you press " Tune Mode ( Stop ) " simultaneously with " 5 " on
the remote control. This should change the display to " JIT xxx " where xxx
is the jitter value in percent, with the disc running, so a reading of " JIT
125 " would represent 12.5%, for example. Once you have the JIT display up,
press play, and let the disc run up, and play normally. Then move a few
chapters into the disc, and note the jitter figure. The 12.5% in the above
example, would be too high. You are aiming to get the jitter factor down
below 10%, and 6.5% ( reading " JIT 065 " in the display ) is often
obtainable. Consider yourself to be doing well, though, if you can achieve
8.9%.

It's not easy to adjust the allen screws. With the deck in place, they are
accessible through three holes in the lower chassis pan, but one at the
front, is partially covered, as I recall, by the front panel, so you have to
have this unscrewed and pulled forward. Stand the player on four coffee mugs
to get your allen key up into the holes. Only adjust half a turn at a time,
usually clockwise on a new deck ie like tightening a normal screw, and
withdraw the tool and let the deck resettle after each adjustment. When you
see the figure just start to come down, move round to the next adjuster
screw, and do this one until the figure again starts to drop, then do the
third one. When you have got them all to this point, keep going round them
in turn until you can get no further improvement. You may need to back one
or more of the screws off from the initially reached position, to obtain
best reading. If you can imagine, what you are doing is ' rocking ' the
laser in two planes, to get it absolutely parallel to the disc, the position
of which is governed by the turntable, which is in turn, a function of how
well the motor fits in the plastic deck.

Hope you manage it ok !! You can always mail me direct if you get in trouble
with it, rather than making the thread go on for ever in the group.

Arfa

Leonard Caillouet

My point was a general one...if someone wants specific help with anything,
it is a good idea to post the model and problem in the subject line. It
could have been the immediately preceding post and would not change the
point. I had just cleaned out my local newsgroups and am not going to
bother to go dig up the post only to find out that I don't have the manual
anyway. The point is, if people want help, they need to make it likely that
others will see their needs.

Leonard

wrote in message
ups.com...
Leonard:
Here is the #1 posting by "stok".... you will find the Make and Model
in his very first sentence.
..... your reply post was #4.
electyricitym

"From: -
I am looking at a Panasonic DVD player #SA-HT75. Insert disk, dispays
reading, then after a few seconds displays no disk. Tried different
disks with same results. Tried cleaning the laser, but no change. I
checked the voltage on the motor that drives the disk and no problem
here. I did this because I noticed when the disk is inserted, it
doesn't turn. The laser module slides back and forth like it's supposed

to. Shouldn't the disk spin when inserted to be read? is the best
course of action, replace this as a module if available, or the motor
if this is the fault. Thanks all."
.
.
.

Arfa Daily

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Probably didn't make it clear - that's " Tune Mode / Stop " on the player's
front panel, and simultaneously " 5 " on the remote handset ...

Arfa

Arfa Daily wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

[...]