Michael Kennedy

Default PAL Famicom on NTSC TV. nintendo disk system

I was looking at buying nintendo famicom with the disk system, but it is the
PAL version from Hong Kong. I was wondering if there is some way to use
this on a NTSC tv. It doesn't have composite outputs but there is someone
who is selling them modded with composite output. Does anyone know how to
get the composite output?

Thanks, Mike

I believe the composite output will also be PAL. You can change the
hardware over to NTSC but then none of the games will work right
because they depend heavily on the video timing in order to display
things in the right place (not sure about the fami but this is the case
with most 8-bit systems.)

You should be able to pick up a cheap multi-system tv or vcr, or even a
PAL tv, from some auction site.

You could get a picture on a video grabber for a PC but the delay will
be so awful it'll be impossible to play anything.

I could be wrong; I'm sure someone will point it out if I am.

Mike Berger

Many higher end TV's will automatically detect and decode the PAL
signal, so you might not have to do anything special. I play PAL
recordings through my 27" sony CRT tv without a converter.

Michael Kennedy wrote:
I was looking at buying nintendo famicom with the disk system, but it is the
PAL version from Hong Kong. I was wondering if there is some way to use
this on a NTSC tv. It doesn't have composite outputs but there is someone
who is selling them modded with composite output. Does anyone know how to
get the composite output?

Thanks, Mike

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Berger wrote:
Many higher end TV's will automatically detect and decode the PAL
signal, so you might not have to do anything special. I play PAL
recordings through my 27" sony CRT tv without a converter.

That's interesting as it comes up as a question often on UK groups. For
many years, UK VHS machines and TVs will replay NTSC tapes via a number of
'cludges' but of course don't allow that tape to be copied. For that you
need a standards convertor. But most say the reverse isn't the case in the
US - NTSC equipment can't play PAL tapes.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.