hardhit99

Default Help with removing a rectifier from it's heatsink base.

I blew out one of the MOSFET rectifiers in my Rockford Fosgate bd
1000.1 amplifier and need to replace it. It's an International
Rectifier 6125. I have a new one already, but the problem is that I
don't know how to remove the old one from the heatsink board that it
is attached to. My best guess would be that it's epoxied on, but I
have no idea. Does anyone have any idea how to remove it from the
heat sink that it's attached to? Here's a picture of what I'm
talking about. Thanks for any help.

http://www.hardhit99.com/images/irf.jpg

DaveM

"hardhit99" wrote in message
I blew out one of the MOSFET rectifiers in my Rockford Fosgate bd
1000.1 amplifier and need to replace it. It's an International
Rectifier 6125. I have a new one already, but the problem is that I
don't know how to remove the old one from the heatsink board that it
is attached to. My best guess would be that it's epoxied on, but I
have no idea. Does anyone have any idea how to remove it from the
heat sink that it's attached to? Here's a picture of what I'm
talking about. Thanks for any help.

http://www.hardhit99.com/images/irf.jpg

Looks like the transistor is soldered to a copper pad being used as a heat
sink. Best bet here is to get a resistance soldering unit and heat the
mounting tab of the blown transistor until the solder melts. Cut all the
transistor's leads before you start heating so that when the solder melts,
it will come off the pad easily. Solder the replacement onto the pad with
the resistance soldering tool. Solder the transistor's leads to the PCB
last to minimize stress on the PCB connections

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in