JR North

Default Help w/Emerson VCR Tape Transport

Yeah, I know...POS. Emerson VCR755. Don't want to knock myself out here;
the tuner has dropped 50% of the channels but the VCR worked fine. Now,
tape loads,FF,RW,Eject all ok; Play: tape transport arms move 90%,
retract, and the VCR shuts off. The belt is OK. I can't see the geared
idler with the tape in. Pinch roller/capstan contact, but capstan
doesn't run. Don't know if it's supposed to before tape transport
completes. The motor runs back and forth during play initiation, and the
tape does not de-spool, but ends up tensioned normally.
Seems to be a logic error; should I shoot for two at the nearest dumpster?
JR

Doug

Some of those emersons had a plastic arm by the
capstand shaft that would crack and the pin would slide down or all the
way out.
Doug

JR North

I need to remove the tape deck to work on it. How do you remove the
ribbon cables from their teminals? I tried prying the sides out at the
slots, but the cables don't come out. I din't want to damage them. Ideas?
JR

JR North wrote:
Yeah, I know...POS. Emerson VCR755. Don't want to knock myself out here;
the tuner has dropped 50% of the channels but the VCR worked fine. Now,
tape loads,FF,RW,Eject all ok; Play: tape transport arms move 90%,
retract, and the VCR shuts off. The belt is OK. I can't see the geared
idler with the tape in. Pinch roller/capstan contact, but capstan
doesn't run. Don't know if it's supposed to before tape transport
completes. The motor runs back and forth during play initiation, and the
tape does not de-spool, but ends up tensioned normally.
Seems to be a logic error; should I shoot for two at the nearest dumpster?
JR

JR NORTH:
Folow the suggestion from Nolsar regarding the MODE switch.
You do NOT need to remove the ribbon connectors or the deck to work on
it. The mode switch can easily be serviced without removing the deck
from the cabinet case. Almost all other service can be done this way
too.
electricitym

JR North

I removed the mode sw, removed the cover and worked some alcohol into
it. No change. I couldn't disassemble it further. The wires to the
switch go under the deck, and I can't see where they connect to the
board with the deck in place. I made a service cassette, but I still
can't get to the mode sw to probe it or adjust it during
operation.That's why I need to remove the deck. Also, found 2 small
nylon pins in the cabinet when disassembled. About 2mmX15mm, with broken
ends. Don't know if they are manufacturing alignment debris or parts of
the transport, or if they are related to the fault. Can't see without
removing the deck.
JR

wrote:
JR NORTH:
Folow the suggestion from Nolsar regarding the MODE switch.
You do NOT need to remove the ribbon connectors or the deck to work on
it. The mode switch can easily be serviced without removing the deck
from the cabinet case. Almost all other service can be done this way
too.
electricitym

Home Page:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth
sofie

JR North:
Without removing the deck from the cabinet you can easily service the mode
switch...... unscrew the bottom board, unsolder the 5 contacts to the mode
switch, gently lift up the edge of the board and completely remove the mode
switch.... it can then be snapped apart, contacts cleaned and increase the
spring tension on the contacts by gently and slightly bending each one.
Reinstall and resolder the connections. The good news is that the Emerson
mode switch has a small protrusion that fits in a hole on the cam gear so it
can not be mis-timed.
Again.... you DO NOT have to remove the deck to do this service or just
about any other service on the 755..
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

wrote:
JR NORTH:
Folow the suggestion from Nolsar regarding the MODE switch.
You do NOT need to remove the ribbon connectors or the deck to work on
it. The mode switch can easily be serviced without removing the deck
from the cabinet case. Almost all other service can be done this way
too.
electricitym

Home Page:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

JR North

Well, clearly we aren't talking about the same model. The mode sw is
wired into a small board under the main board. This board also has a
micro switch on it on the underside. There is no way to unsolder the (3)
mode sw wires from it without removing the deck. Which brings me back to
my original q: how to remove the ribbon cables from their terminals?
JR