-ex-

Default HV arc question

Set in question is a late model Sharp 25". I'm electronic savvy but not
a TV guy.

It has been really humid here lately and the set has experienced arcing
around the HV connector on the picture tube. Usually it would stop
after a few seconds according to wife and kids.

It has only gotten worse so I checked it out today. There are burnt
traces in the rubber seal and even some etching in the glass immediately
around the connector. I cleaned it up the best I could.

The LONG arcs have stopped now but I still hear some sizzling inside the
connector. What is the proper remedy for this? Is there a HV
insulating coating that should be applied? Replace the rubber cap?

I'll have to mail-order whatever I need so suggestions as to
brands/vendor would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Bill in Puerto Rico
James Sweet

"-ex-" wrote in message
Set in question is a late model Sharp 25". I'm electronic savvy but not
a TV guy.

It has been really humid here lately and the set has experienced arcing
around the HV connector on the picture tube. Usually it would stop
after a few seconds according to wife and kids.

It has only gotten worse so I checked it out today. There are burnt
traces in the rubber seal and even some etching in the glass immediately
around the connector. I cleaned it up the best I could.

The LONG arcs have stopped now but I still hear some sizzling inside the
connector. What is the proper remedy for this? Is there a HV
insulating coating that should be applied? Replace the rubber cap?

I'll have to mail-order whatever I need so suggestions as to
brands/vendor would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Bill in Puerto Rico

You have to clean it up real well since the carbon is conductive, scrub
every bit of it off that you can. Then get a tube of HV dielectric grease,
normally automotive parts stores sell it in the ignition section, just smear
the suction cup underside with it and put it back together.

Sam Goldwasser

"James Sweet" writes:

"-ex-" wrote in message
[...]

And make to discharge the CRT before you touch it!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

-ex-

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

You have to clean it up real well since the carbon is conductive, scrub
every bit of it off that you can. Then get a tube of HV dielectric grease,
normally automotive parts stores sell it in the ignition section, just smear
the suction cup underside with it and put it back together.

And make to discharge the CRT before you touch it!

Thanks guys. I scrubbed it a bit more with acetone and toothbrush and
all arcing has now stopped. I should be able to get the HT grease
locally so I think I'm good to go.

Thanks,
Bill

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM